When you want a delicious and comforting meal that doesn’t require a lot of time, Crockpot chicken pot pie is perfect. This one-pot meal combines all the classic flavors of chicken pot pie with the convenience of a slow cooker. With just a few simple ingredients, you can have a nourishing family dinner on the table with minimal effort. Plus, it smells amazing while it's cooking! Read on, and I’ll teach you how to make this simple family meal.
Want to wow your family but don't have hours to spend in the kitchen?
With this easy-to-make Crock pot Chicken Pot Pie recipe, you can sit back and relax while your meal cooks itself.
This is a comforting classic that's full of creamy chicken goodness and all your favorite veggies.
With just a handful of simple ingredients and minimal prep, you’ll have an amazing meal ready for you at a fraction of the effort!
Whether it’s weeknight comfort food or Sunday night family dinners - this slow cooker chicken pot pie is sure to be a crowd-pleaser.
Ingredients for Making
- Butter: I like to use salted butter for slow cooker chicken pie, but unsalted butter or even olive oil will work fine.
- Onion: Use a white or yellow onion. To save time, you can also use frozen chopped onion.
- Chicken: I used boneless skinless chicken breast, but boneless chicken thighs will work as well. (After the holidays, sub in turkey to make turkey pot pie.)
- Garlic: Fresh or jarred minced garlic can both be used.
- Potatoes: Any kind of potato will work, but I like to use russet potatoes for this recipe.
- Chicken broth: Regular or low-sodium chicken broth both work well. I like to use homemade broth if I have it - it adds so much flavor.
- Cream of Chicken Soup & Cream of Celery Soup: These soups provide creaminess and flavor. You could also use cream of mushroom soup.
- Parsley: Fresh or dried works great. If you use dried, make sure you reduce the amount.
- Peas & Carrots: Frozen mixed vegetables are best for this recipe.
- Corn: Again, I recommend using frozen veggies for this recipe.
- Salt & Pepper, to taste: Use more or less depending on your preference.
- Biscuits: Homemade or store-bought biscuits can be used for topping slow cooker pot pie. Either way, you will want to cook them according to the package or recipe instructions.
Step by Step
First, start making this crock pot chicken pot pie with biscuits by melting your butter in a large skillet. Alternatively, if your slow cooker has a saute function (Like the Instant Pot Dutch Oven or Ninja Foodi Possible Cooker), use that.
Add the onion, and cook for 5 minutes.
Add the chicken cubes and cook for another 8 minutes.
Then add the garlic, and cook for 1 minute longer.
Transfer all of these ingredients to your slow cooker and add the diced potatoes. Give it a stir to combine.
Whisk together the chicken broth, cream of chicken soup, cream of celery soup, parsley and black pepper in a bowl.
Pour the mixture over the onions, meat, and potatoes in the slow cooker. Stir to combine.
Cook on low heat for 4 hours.
Add the peas, carrots, and corn and cook for an additional 1 hour. Taste and season well with salt & pepper.
Serve this easy crock pot chicken pot pie with biscuits and a sprinkle of parsley for garnish, if desired. Enjoy!
Tips & Tricks
- You can skip sauteing the onions, garlic, and chicken if you are short on time. I like this step, because it adds to the depth of flavor of the dish, but it isn't necessary.
- You can adjust the amounts and types of vegetables if you like. Celery and mushrooms are great options when added with the onion, and green beans are also commonly found in pot pie.
- Make this recipe gluten-free by using gluten free soups and biscuits. My cream of celery soup and gluten free cream of mushroom may be used in the chicken pot pie filling in place of the canned soup if you prefer.
- If you prefer a pie crust topping, make sure you are using an oven-safe slow cooker and add the crust at the end of the slow cooking time. Bake until it is golden brown. You could also transfer the slow cooker chicken pie filling to a casserole dish, top it with the pie crust, and then bake.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I put raw chicken in the slow cooker?
Yes, you can put raw chicken in the slow cooker. However, it is recommended that you not put frozen chicken in a slow cooker. This is because of potential food safety issues as the chicken comes up to temperature.
What is the sauce made of in chicken pot pie?
The sauce is typically made of a combination of chicken broth, cream of chicken soup, and cream of celery soup.
To add flavor, parsley, black pepper, and other seasonings are often added. You can also make your own homemade cream sauce with butter, flour, and milk.
Tools Needed to Make
As an amazon associate, I earn from qualifying sales.
- Slow cooker - Use a crockpot, Instant Pot Dutch Oven, Ninja Foodi PossibleCooker or your favorite slow cooker.
- Baking sheet or pan (for the biscuits)
- Skillet - if you slow cooker doesn’t have a saute function
Store leftover slow cooker chicken pot pie in the refrigerator in a sealed container for up to three days.
You can freeze leftovers for up to two months.
To reheat, thaw overnight in the refrigerator and then heat in the oven or microwave.
Must-Try Crockpot Recipes
- Looking for more easy comfort foot inspiration? Don’t miss these Crockpot mashed potatoes.
- With the perfect blend of spicy and sweet, slow cooker sweet potatoes are always a hit.
- Make shredded crockpot salsa chicken on the weekend for meal prep, and taco Tuesday will be so easy!
- Crockpot scalloped potatoes are the perfect addition to most any meal!
- When you are craving cheesy goodness, this Crockpot mac and cheese never fails to delight.
- Crockpot peanut clusters are the perfect way to finish your meal.
Crockpot Chicken Pot Pie
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 ½ pounds chicken breast cubed
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 cups russet potatoes peeled and diced (about 2 large or 4 to 5 small)
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 can cream of chicken soup
- 1 can cream of celery soup
- 2 teaspoons fresh chopped parsley or ½ teaspoon dried
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 10 ounces frozen peas and carrots
- 6 ounces frozen corn
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 8 baked biscuits homemade or store bought
- Melt the butter in a skillet or using the saute function of your slow cooker.
- Add the onion. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Add chicken cubes and cook for another 8 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute longer.
- Transfer to your slow cooker and add the diced potatoes.
- In a bowl, whisk together the chicken broth, cream of chicken, cream of celery, parsley and black pepper.
- Pour the soup mixture on top of the onions, meat, and potatoes and stir to combine.
- Cook for 4 hours on low.
- Add the peas, carrots, and corn and cook for an additional 1 hour.
- Taste and season well with salt and pepper. Stir well. Top individual portions with cooked biscuits and serve.
Leave a Reply