This Kale Salad with Tahini Dressing is a delicious way to change up your salad routine. With kale, purple cabbage, carrots and sunflower seeds this colorful healthy salad is a great way to supercharge your day.
Do you love this time of year as much as I do?
I know not all of you are enjoying warmer weather yet, but even if you aren’t there is the promise that it will soon arrive.
We’ve been enjoying the perfect weather for the last week. Other than take care of Skye and ensure the family was fed the only thing I did last weekend was sitting on the back deck reading.
It is so unlike me to unwind like that, and I am enjoying every second of it.
When the weather is nice, my motivation to eat right improves tremendously. There is something about great weather and great produce that go hand in hand!
I love simple lunches, like today’s Kale Salad with Tahini Dressing.
I think kale is one of those things that you either love or hate. I happen to love it, but I am kid-solo in the family with my love. No one else will come near it.
Even if you aren’t a kale fan, you MUST make this dressing. It is good on any salad and also fantastic drizzled on a wrap, on cooked veggies and on grilled protein.
Frequently Asked Questions for Kale Salad with Tahini Dressing:
Why Do You Massage Kale?
With the exception of baby kale, the texture of kale can be a little rough to eat it raw. That is where massaging comes in! Massaging kale helps to break down the cell walls and helps to soften the texture.
What Kind of Kale Should I Use for this Salad?
Any type will work! I love Tuscan kale, but Green curly kale or red kale also work. If you are using baby kale there is no need to massage. (But the salad will not hold up dressed quite as long.)
What is Tahini?
Tahini is sesame paste and can usually be found in grocery stores near the nut butter or in the international section. Make from ground hulled sesame seeds, it is rich in cholesterol-lowering phytoste
Tools for Making Kale Tahini Salad
Kale Salad with Tahini Dressing
Kale Salad with Tahini Dressing
- 1/4 cup tahini
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 3 tablespoons water
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon coconut aminos or gluten free tamari
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 4 cups Tuscan Kale
- 2 cups grated red cabbage
- 1 carrot peeled then cut into ribbons
- 1/4 cup sunflower seeds.
- Make dressing by combining tahini, nutritional yeast, water, lemon juice, rice vinegar, olive oil, coconut aminos, garlic, smoked paprika, cumin and salt in a blender. Process until smooth.
- Place kale in a medium bowl. Add 2 tablespoons tahini dressing and massage with clean hands. Wash hands and add cabbage, carrot. Toss with desired amount of additional dressing and serve. Sprinkle with sunflower seeds and serve.
Variations for Tahini Salad Dressing
- Omit the paprika and cumin. Use apple cider vinegar in place of the rice wine vinegar and add 2 teaspoons minced ginger and 1 teaspoon Sriracha.
- For an extra kick, add in 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper.
- Use 1/4 cup orange juice in place of the lemon juice and rice vinegar.