I’ve talked at length at how difficult it is to get my kids to eat healthy.
Guys, it is a DAILY struggle, but one I’m determined to win.
Once upon a time it was all about hiding the veggies.
The problem with that? My boys caught on began to mistrust everything I gave them. (I probably shouldn’t have tried to sneak mashed butternut squash in their grilled cheese.)
These days, its all about keeping things simple. I take a much more direct approach and focus on veggies that are the least objectionable. I also try to offer a bit of variety, because little palates change all that time.
I know I’m not the only mom out there who struggles with the dinnertime dilemma.
This year, Birds Eye has partnered with celebrity chef Melissa d’Arabian to help Mom’s with their dinnertime stress. Melissa is the host of the FoodNetwork.com’s web series The Picky Eaters Project and a mom of four. Birds Eye and Melissa are combining their expertise to get children eating more veggies…one bite at a time. With more than 40 vegetable blends available at affordable prices, Birds Eye is your ally in the dinnertime dilemma!
With their Step Up To The Plate Program, Birds Eye has made a long term commitment to reshaping kids’ veggie perceptions and getting children to like veggies for life. I don’t know about you, but I need all the help I can get with this. Apparently, most of us do. According to The State of The Plate report, 9 in 10 people in the United States don’t get enough vegetables.
Through this initiative, Birds Eye is working to make eating more vegetables a reality by showing families how to fill half the plate with veggies in fun and simple ways loved by both moms and kids.
Today’s Quinoa Primavera is just the kind of recipe I like to feed to my kids. It comes together in less than 15 minutes, is packed with vegetables and kid friendly.
What are your tips for feed your little ones healthy?
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cloves minced garlic optional
- 1 package Bird’s Eye Primavera Blend
- 1/2 cup milk or unsweetened almond milk
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 cup vegetable or chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 2 cups cooked quinoa
- 2 ounces Parmesan cheese grated (optional)
- 3 tablespoons chopped Parsley
- Heat oil in a large sauté pan over medium heat. Add garlic and cook for 30 seconds. Add Bird’s Eye vegetables and cook for 5 minutes.
- In a small bowl whisk together milk and cornstarch. Add to vegetable mixture and cook for 2 minutes. Add broth, salt and pepper and cook for 3 minutes longer. Stir in quinoa and cook until heated through, adding additional broth if necessary.
- Serve warm with cheese and parsley
I was selected for this opportunity as a member of Clever Girls Collective and the content and opinions expressed here are all my own.