This Roasted Sweet Potato Salad Recipe is packed with ingredients that will leave you feeling great and has flavors that will keep you coming back for more. I like to make this recipe on a lazy Sunday afternoon, so I’ve got an energizing lunch during the busy work week. This recipe is infinitely adaptable, so feel free to play with it and make it your own.
Roasted Sweet Potato Salad is Perfect for Meal Prep!
I love green salads most all year round, but when the weather gets cold, I sometimes find myself craving something a bit heartier.
Recipes like this Roasted Sweet Potato Salad are perfection. It holds beautifully in the refrigerator and is perfect for making on the weekends for meal prep.
How to Make Roasted Sweet Potato Salad
Roast the Sweet Potatoes
1. First preheat your oven to 375 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Cube your sweet potatoes and place them in a bowl.
3. Toss with olive oil, salt, and pepper.
4. Transfer sweet potatoes to the prepared baking sheet, and post for 28 to 35 minutes, until tender. Allow to cool slightly in the pan and transfer to a bowl.
Make the Salad
5. While the sweet potatoes are roasting make the dressing by combining the olive oil, apple cider vinegar, balsamic vinegar, Dijon mustard, maple syrup, garlic, salt, and chipotle chili powder in a blender. Process until smooth. (You can also whisk together in a bow.)
6. Add the scallions and red pepper to the bowl with the sweet potatoes.
7. Toss with the dressing. Top with pine nuts and serve warm or at room temperature.
Variations for Sweet Potato Salad
- Use sherry vinegar in place of the apple cider vinegar. Add 1 tablespoon organic white miso. (If you make it this way, I recommend not adding the salt and then tasting and adjusting the seasonings to your taste. Miso adds a lot of salt on its own.)
- Add 1 bunch of kale massaged with 1 tablespoon of lime juice. Top with 2 tablespoons of pepitas.
- Add 1 1/2 cups cooked quinoa or 1 1/2 cups (about one can) drained and rinsed black beans.
- Use candied pecans in place of the pine nuts.
Can you eat sweet potato cold?
Absolutely! Once you have roasted it, you can enjoy this salad cold or at room temperature.
How do you soften sweet potatoes?
The best way to soften sweet potatoes is to roast them!
Did you know that sweet potatoes are actually not related to sweet potatoes? Unlike potatoes, sweet potatoes are not a member of the nightshade family.
- Don’t skip lining your pan with parchment paper when roasting sweet potatoes! The caramelized juices will make a mess and can be very difficult to clean up.
- Make sure you give the sweet potatoes long enough to cook. They should cook a little past the initial point of tenderness for the flavors to fully develop.
- Make sure that you cut the sweet potatoes to be all about the same size. Otherwise, they won’t cook evenly.
Buying Sweet Potatoes
Look for sweet potatoes that show no signs of wrinkling or sprouting. Avoid sweet potatoes that have a greenish color just under the skin. That have had too much exposure to light and this has caused a natural toxin to develop.
Storing Sweet Potatoes
For longest storage, keep sweet potatoes in a dark cool place. They will keep for about two weeks and room temperature, but will last up to a month in a dark cool place.
- Serve over baby arugula and top with 1/4 cup of chopped scallions for a complete meal.
- Add 1 cup of corn and serve in a gluten-free corn tortilla soft-taco style!
If you Like this Recipe You May Also Like:
- Chicken Broccoli Cauliflower Risotto is a fabulous side dish and great when you are trying to get more vegetables in your diet.
- This Asian Quinoa Salad is simple to make and great for lunch.
- Quinoa Stuffed Sweet Potato is a hearty vegetarian meal that never gets old.
- Red Skin Potato Salad is perfect for your next grill out!
- Sweet Potato Rice is an easy to make side that even kids love. Simple and delicious!
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualified purchases.
Roasted Sweet Potato Salad
- 4 medium sweet potatoes peeled and cut into ½ inch slices
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 6 scallions
- 1 red pepper diced
- 1/4 cup pine nuts toasted
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 ½ tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon chipotle chili powder
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Place cubed sweet potatoes in a bowl and toss with olive oil, salt and pepper. Roast for 28 to 35 minutes, until tender. Transfer to a bowl.
- Meanwhile, whisk together dressing ingredients in a small bowl or process in a blender
- Toss sweet potatoes with scallions, red pepper and dressing. Top with pine nuts and serve warm or at room temperature.
Other Sweet Potato Recipes to Try:
- Oven Roasted Sweet Potatoes are a tasty side that will become a favorite.
- Sweet Potato Chili is a hearty vegan meal that will please even the meat-lovers!