This Sweet Potato Rice Recipe is quick to make and even quicker to disappear. Loaded with flavor and packed with nutrition, this is a recipe you will turn to again and again. With sweet potatoes, red pepper, shallots, and chives you can't go wrong! This is one both adults and children love!
This Sweet Potato Rice Recipe Deserves to Become a Habit!
This post was originally published July 22, 2016.
Everyone has their quirks, and one of mine is how excited produce makes me. I get giddy when I get home from the farmer's market and fill my pantry and fridge with the goodies from my haul.
It isn't that I am all about healthy foods (hello, anything cheesy and creamy), but I am blessed with a genuine love of vegetables.
It would be hard for me to pick a favorite veggie, but up near the top is sweet potatoes. There are just so many great ways to use them. You can roast them, bake the,m or even fry them.
Today, let's mix things up, shall we?
In honor of my love for Cauliflower "Rice", let's make Sweet Potato Rice.
This is such a delicious dish! It is vegan and gluten-free, making it perfect for the whole crowd.
I used a vegetable peeler which sliced the potatoes really thin so that they would break apart when they were cooking. You could also pulse the potatoes in your food processor for a smaller "rice". Either way, this is one you've got to try.
How to Make This Riced Sweet Potato Recipe
- Cut peeled sweet potatoes using a julienne peeler. You can also cut them into chunks and rice them with a food processor, or cut them with a spiralizer.
- Heat oil to medium high heat. Add sweet potatoes, red pepper, shallots, paprika and salt.
- Cover and cook for 5 minutes.
- The potatoes will start to break apart into a rice-like form. (Unless you used a food processor in which case they started out like that.)
- Uncover and stir in green onions and chives. Continue cooking for about 4 minutes, using the back of a spoon to break apart the sweet potatoes.
- Add walnuts and serve warm.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Can You Make This Recipe Ahead of Time?
Yes! This recipe will keep in the refrigerator for up to four or five days. You can also cut the potatoes and store them soaked in water in the refrigerator for about four days. When you are ready to make the recipe, drain well on paper towels.
Can I Make This With Butternut Squash?
Yes - I recommend with butternut squash you use a spiralizer or food processor.
What Should I Serve with Sweet Potato Rice?
Other Recipes to Try:
- Sweet Potato Salad
- Coconut Cauliflower Rice
- Sweet Potato Quinoa Casserole
- Spanish Cauliflower Rice
- Sweet Potato Burger
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualified purchases.
Sweet Potato Rice
Learn How to make this healthy Sweet Potato Rice recipe and it is sure to to become a new habit! It is the perfect vegan side dish, and is fabulous as the base for a bowl. Getting your kids to eat their veggies at family dinners just got easier!
Sweet Potato Rice Pilaf
- Heat avocado oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add sweet potatoes, red pepper, shallots, paprika and salt Cover and cook for 5 minutes, until potatoes are tender.
- At this point, provided your cuts are thin enough, the potatoes will start to break into a rice-like form.
- Uncover and stir in green onions and chives. Cook for another 4 minutes, stirring to break apart the sweet potatoes.
- Add walnuts and serve warm.