This Sweet Potato Rice Recipe is quick to make and even quicker to disappear. With sweet potatoes, red pepper, shallots, and chives, you can't go wrong! Loaded with flavor and packed with nutrition, this is a recipe you will turn to again and again.
It would be hard for me to pick a favorite veggie, but up near the top is sweet potatoes. There are just so many great ways to use them.
You can roast them, sautee them or even turn them into sweet potato fries.
Today, let's mix things up, shall we?
In honor of my love for cauliflower rice, let's make Sweet Potato Rice.
This is such a delicious dish that is super easy to make. It is vegan, dairy-free, and gluten-free, making it perfect for the whole crowd.
I used a vegetable peeler which sliced the potatoes really thin so that they would break apart when they were cooking. You could also pulse the potatoes in your food processor for a smaller "rice" or use a spiralizer.
Either way, this is one you've got to try.
Ingredients for Making Sweet Potato Rice Pilaf
- Oil: Avocado oil is my go-to for high heat cooking. You can use your favorite oil, just be mindful of the smoke point. Olive oil may be used, but I do not recommend extra-virgin in this recipe.
- Sweet Potato: Look for sweet potatoes that feel heavy for their size. The skins should show no signs of sprouting.
- Bell Pepper: I used red bell pepper, but a yellow pepper would work as well.
- Shallot: If you don't have shallots on hand, diced red onion could also used.
- Seasonings: Smoked paprika adds a smokiness I love; feel free to use regular paprika if you do no have it on hand. Adjust the salt to your personal preference.
- Green Onions: Use both the green and the white part.
- Chives: if you don't have fresh chives, you can use two teaspoons of dried chives.
- Walnuts: Pine nuts would also be lovely here.
- Steak with Mushrooms
- Air Fryer Chicken Breast
- Chicken and Guacamole Wrap
- Make a sweet potato rice bowl by adding greens and your favorite protein. Top it off with avocado cream.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes! This recipe will keep in the refrigerator about four days.
You can also cut the potatoes and store them soaked in water in the fridge for about four days.
When you are ready to make the recipe, drain well on paper towels.
Yes - I recommend with butternut squash, you use a spiralizer or food processor.
Tools Needed to Make Sweet Potato Rice Recipe
As an amazon associate, I earn from qualifying sales.
- Julienne peeler, food processor, or spiralizer
- Large skillet with a tight-fitting lid
Store leftovers in a sealed container in the refrigerator for up to four days.
How to Make Sweet Potato Rice
- Cut peeled sweet potatoes using a julienne peeler. You can also cut them into chunks and rice them with a food processor or cut them with a spiralizer.
- Heat oil to medium-high heat in a large skillet. Add sweet potatoes, red pepper, shallots, paprika, and salt.
- Cover and cook for 5 minutes.
- The potatoes will start to break apart into a rice-like form. (Unless you used a food processor, in which case they started out like that.)
- Uncover and stir in green onions and chives. Continue to cook, stirring occasionally for about 4 minutes, using the back of a spoon to break apart the sweet potatoes.
- Add walnuts and serve warm.
More Plant-Powered Recipes to Try
- Sweet Potato Salad
- Coconut Cauliflower Rice
- Sweet Potato Quinoa Casserole
- Spanish Cauliflower Rice
- Sweet Potato Burger
- Wild Rice Pilaf
Sweet Potato Rice Pilaf
- Heat avocado oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add sweet potatoes, red pepper, shallots, paprika and salt Cover and cook for 5 minutes, until potatoes are tender.
- At this point, provided your cuts are thin enough, the potatoes will start to break into a rice-like form.
- Uncover and stir in green onions and chives. Cook for another 4 minutes, stirring to break apart the sweet potatoes.
- Add walnuts and serve warm.