This Slow Cooker Chicken and Rice with Feta and Spinach is a great weeknight dinner solution. With tender chicken, fluffy rice, feta and spinach, you've got a delicious meal the whole family will love!
If I had to pick one kitchen appliance, I couldn't live without, it would be my Breville Sous Chef Food Processor
After that, it would be my Slow Cooker
I have some go-to recipes that I make all the time when I don't feel like thinking about what is for dinner. Among them are these Slow Cooker Barbecue Chicken Sandwiches, these Chicken Tacos with Mango Salsa and this Chicken Tortilla Casserole. I also couldn't survive without this Slow Cooker Shredded Chicken Recipe! It is perfect to have on hand to toss into salads or a wrap.
Today I've got a new recipe for you, which I think is going to be another one in my rotation. This Slow Cooker Chicken and Rice is a fun twist on Chicken & Rice! I've added spinach, feta and tomato for a bit of a Mediterranean twist.
What kitchen appliance do you rely on?
Slow Cooker Chicken and Rice with Feta and Spinach
- 1 large onion chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- ½ teaspoon Italian Seasoning
- 2 cups rice
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 ½ pounds chicken breast or thighs
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- ½ cup sour cream
- ¼ cup chicken broth
- 6 ounces baby spinach chopped
- 1 tomato seeded and diced
- 8 ounces crumbled feta
- 1 lemon juice and zest
- Spray a large skillet with avocado oil. Add onion and cook over medium high heat for 10 minutes. Add garlic and Italian seasoning and cook for one more minute.
- Transfer to a slow cooker and add rice, chicken, broth, salt and pepper.
- Cook 4 to 6 hours on low. Remove chicken from cooker and transfer to a cutting board. Shred. Return chicken to slow cooker.
- In a small bowl whisk together sour cream and broth. Add to slow cooker along with the spinach, tomato and feta.
- Cook for an additional 30 minutes, until spinach is wilted. Stir in lemon juice and zest.
If You Like This Recipe You May Also Like:
Just a quick question--------do I use white rice for this recipe? Is it really 2 cups of uncooked rice added to the slow cooker? Thanks for your amazing recipes. This one just needs some clarification for me. Thanks.
The uncooked rice goes into the slow cooker and yes, I used white rice.
I've always loved a good chicken and rice dish.
I never use white rice, only organic brown or black, but I was wondering the possibility of using cauliflower rice, just adding it later in the cooking process. What do you think?
Hi. Just ran across this. Did you try it with cauliflower rice?
I have not tried it with cauliflower rice!