Looking for a foolproof way to cook rice? Look no further than your crockpot! Slow cooker rice is easy to make and so convenient. Just add the ingredients to your crockpot, and let it work its magic. In this post, we'll share with you our foolproof recipe for making perfectly cooked rice in your slow cooker – so get ready to smell something truly delicious coming!
Rice is such a universally loved and easy side dish, but sometimes cooking it on the stove top can be tedious.
It isn’t that is is difficult - just that you do have to keep an eye on it to prevent it from becoming a burnt mess.
For those days when you haven’t a moment to spare, Crockpot rice is the solution. It is surprisingly easy to make, tastes delicious, and is so versatile. (The slow cooker is one of my favorite ways to cook grains!)
Let’s get started on learning how to make flavorful and hassle-free rice in your trusty slow cooker!
- Rice: I typically use jasmine rice or basmati rice,, but any type of white long grain rice will work here. You could also use brown rice; just make sure to increase the cooking time.
- Broth: Purchased broth works, but use homemade broth for the fullest flavor. You can also use water, but the broth will add so much more flavor.
- Butter: I recommend adding a couple of tablespoons of cubed butter – it adds richness and flavor.
- Salt: Don't skip the salt. It really is necessary for the best rice.
First, start by rinsing the rice.
Place the rice in a fine mesh strainer and rinse under a steady stream of water until the water runs clear.
This step is important for removing any excess starch from the rice to prevent it from becoming sticky and mushy.
Next, spray your slow cooker insert with cooking spray.
Add the rice and broth or water to the slow cooker. Dot with the butter and sprinkle with the salt.
Cover the rice with a piece of parchment paper and then place a lid on your slow cooker.
I like to use the lid to my crockpot as a guide to cut out a piece of parchment that fits perfectly but you can just fold a piece if you like. T
he purpose of the parchment is to steam the rice and make it tender, but you can skip this step if you don’t have it.
Cook on high for 1 ½ to 2 hours, stirring occasionally. Check the rice after about 1 ½ hours and test for doneness.
Tips & Tricks
- Don't skip rinsing your rice before adding it to your crockpot. This helps to remove the excess starch which can prevent it from becoming sticky.
- If your rice is still undercooked after the recommended cooking time, add a few tablespoons of broth or water and cook for an additional 15 minutes.
- You can adjust the seasonings as desired. Feel free to add some garlic powder, onion powder, fresh herbs, cumin, chili powder. or whatever you like.
Some of my favorite simple family meals are this crockpot rice with Instant Pot chicken legs, slow cooker chicken, or picanha roast. Serve with a green salad, and complete the meal with bread machine dinner rolls.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is it safe to cook rice in a slow cooker?
Yes, it is perfectly safe to cook rice in a slow cooker. Be sure to use enough liquid and adjust the cooking times as necessary.
Why is my rice not cooking in my slow cooker?
If your rice is not cooking, it could be that you have not added enough water or broth to the slow cooker. Make sure to use a ratio of 1 cup of rice to 2 cups of liquid and adjust the cooking times as necessary. Also, check on your rice after 1 hour and give it a good stir. This helps to make sure that the edges aren't burning.
Always remember that every slow cooker is a little different, so you may need to adjust the cooking time.
Tools Needed to Make
As an amazon associate, I earn from qualifying sales.
- Slow cooker - Use a crockpot, Instant Pot Dutch Oven, Ninja Foodi PossibleCooker or your favorite slow cooker.
- Parchment paper
Store leftovers in the refrigerator for up to three days.
You can freeze cooked and cooled rice for up to a month. Thaw it overnight in the refrigerator and then reheat it in the microwave or on the stove, adding a little broth if necessary.
There you have it – the perfect recipe for making slow cooker rice! It’s so simple and so delicious. Serve up your crockpot rice as a side to your favorite mains for a hassle-free dinner that everyone will love. Enjoy
More Slow Cooker Recipes to Try
- For the best mashed potatoes full of flavor, give these Crockpot mashed potatoes a try. They are rich, creamy, and so dreamy.
- Sweet potatoes aren’t just for the holidays! These slow cooker sweet potatoes make a delicious side throughout the year.
- Slow cooker polenta is ridiculously easy and always a hit!
- For a side that is sure to delight a crowd, these crockpot scalloped potatoes are perfect.
Slow Cooker White Rice
- 1 ½ cups uncooked white rice
- 3 cups broth or water
- 2 tablespoons butter cubed
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- Place the rice in a fine mesh strainer and rinse under a steady stream of water until the water runs clear.
- Spray your slow cooker insert with cooking spray. Add the rice and broth or water to the slow cooker.
- Dot with the butter and sprinkle with the salt.
- Cover the rice with a piece of parchment paper and then place a lid on your slow cooker.
- Cook on high for 1 ½ to 2 hours, stirring occasionally. Check the rice after about 1 ½ hours and test for doneness. Fluff with a fork before serving.