Looking for an easy side with just a handful of ingredients? These slow cooker sweet potatoes fit the bill. This recipe is perfect for your holiday table but is delightful any time of year. This dish comes together with a subtle kiss of heat to balance the sweetness of the brown sugar and maple syrup. Give it a try, and you will be hooked.
If you're looking for a delicious, easy-to-make recipe that will bring the entire family together at meal times, then look no further than slow cooker sweet potatoes.
This simple yet delectable dish combines sweet and savory flavors to create a hearty and comforting side dish that can be enjoyed as part of any lunch or dinner.
With minimal prep time and spices you probably already have in your kitchen, these crockpot sweet potatoes make mealtime easy.
You Will Need
- Sweet Potatoes: Make sure to peel your sweet potatoes and cut them into roughly even pieces.
- Syrup: Use your favorite real maple syrup, not imitation syrup.
- Brown Sugar: I like light brown sugar in this recipe, but you could use dark brown sugar if you prefer.
- Cinnamon: Make sure your cinnamon is fresh - no more than a year old. This really makes a difference in the flavor!
- Salt: I recommend using ½ teaspoon of salt before cooking. If you want more salt in the dish, it is best to add it after tasting at the end of the cooking time.
- Cayenne Pepper: This balances out the sweetness of the brown sugar and syrup.
- Butter: I used regular butter, but unsalted works as well.
- Pecans: You could substitute another nut if you prefer. Walnuts and pine nuts are both nice with these crockpot candied sweet potatoes..
Step by Step
For the full recipe with measurements, see the recipe card below.
First, start by spraying your crockpot well with cooking spray. You can brush it with oil or butter if you don’t have cooking spray.
A crockpot liner may also be used if you prefer.
Once your slow cooker is prepared, add your diced sweet potatoes. Drizzle the maple syrup and then sprinkle with the brown sugar, cinnamon, salt, and cayenne pepper.
Toss to coat.
Add the butter cubes on top, spreading them evenly over the potatoes.
Cover and cook on high for 3 to 4 hours until the potatoes are tender. I recommend that you start to test the potatoes for doneness before the 3 hour mark. Some slow cookers run really hot, while others will require the full four hours.
Stir well and transfer your slow cooker candied sweet potatoes to a serving platter. Top with pecans and serve.
Tips & Tricks
- To save time, you can use pre-cut sweet potatoes from the produce section.
- When selecting sweet potatoes, choose firm ones with taunt skin that is free of wrinkling.
- Many kinds of sweet potatoes are available, with a range of texture, color and flavor. Beauregard and Jewel are two common ones from which you can expect the traditional sweet potato flavor. Other varieties with lighter color tend to be starchier.
- Don’t store raw sweet potatoes in a plastic bag. Instead, store in a well-ventilated dark area.
Slow cooker sweet potatoes are perfect for Thanksgiving and Christmas but work just as well throughout the year.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can you put raw sweet potatoes in a slow cooker?
Yes, raw sweet potatoes can be used in a slow cooker - there is no need to pre-cook them.
To ensure that the potatoes are cooked through and well-tenderized, make sure to start checking for doneness after about 2 hours of cooking because slow cookers can vary wildly in how hot their low setting is.
Do I need to soak sweet potatoes before cooking in a slow cooker?
No, you do not need to pre-soak sweet potatoes before cooking in a slow cooker. In fact, soaking the sweet potatoes in water can actually cause them to release more starch and may result in extra liquid at the end of the cooking process.
Tools Needed to Make
As an amazon associate, I earn from qualifying sales.
- Slow cooker or Crockpot
Store leftovers in the refrigerator for up to four days. Reheat them in the microwave, on the stovetop, or in the oven.
Looking for More Crockpot Recipes? Don’t Miss These!
- Looking for an easy family dinner? It doesn’t get any better than this shredded crockpot salsa chicken. It is super easy to make and so full of flavor.
- For a delicious sweet bite, you are going to love these crockpot peanut clusters. With just a handful of ingredients, you won’t believe how easy this recipe is to make.
- This slow cooker polenta saves me time and again! It is an easy side and the perfect base for a bowl.
- When you need a side that your friends and family are sure to love, this crockpot mac and cheese is always a winner.
Slow Cooker Sweet Potatoes
- 2 ½ pounds sweet potatoes peeled and diced into cubes
- ⅓ cup maple syrup
- ⅓ cup light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ¼ cup butter cubes
- ½ cup chopped pecans toasted
- Spray your slow cooker well with cooking spray.
- Add the sweet potatoes and drizzle with the maple syrup. Add the brown sugar, cinnamon, salt, and cayenne pepper. Toss to coat.
- Dot with the butter.
- Cover and cook on high for 3 to 4 hours or until the potatoes are tender. Stir well and transfer to a serving dish. Top with the pecans and serve.