If you love bold flavors and don't have hours to spend in the kitchen, you will love these Slow Cooker Short Ribs. Succulent beef short ribs are slowly cooked in a savory and aromatic broth with herbs and vegetables until they are fall-off-the-bone tender. The best part? You don't have to spend hours in the kitchen to make it happen!
Short ribs are a classic dish that is always served in the best restaurants.
With this recipe, you can bring those flavors and aromas home with minimal effort.
All you need to do is prepare your ingredients early in the day, then let your slow cooker do its job and build delectable flavors that will make everyone happy!
Enjoy a tender, juicy and flavorful beef rib dinner that will taste like it took a lot of effort. Follow along, and I’ll teach you how to make short ribs in the crock pot.
- Garlic Powder: I like garlic powder for ease and also so that I don't have to worry about burning raw garlic when I am searing the beef ribs.
- Rosemary and Oregano: Dried rosemary and oregano work well in this recipe, but if you happen to have fresh on hand, use 2 tablespoons of each finely chopped. Thyme is also a fabulous option
- Salt: Start by seasoning with 2 teaspoons of salt. You can always add more at the end of cooking time if you need it.
- Dried Mustard: This is optional but gives the ribs a nice sharpness.
- Beef Short Ribs: I like to use bone-in beef short ribs as they have great flavor.
- Avocado Oil: This is my favorite oil for searing meat as it has a high smoke point and doesn't burn easily. It has a neutral flavor. Use your favorite high-heat oil!
- Onion and Carrots: These will be diced and added to build flavor. Don't worry about how your cuts look, but do try to dice them finely so if you want to use the juices to serve over the ribs, they are small enough.
- Tomato Paste: This will add a rich depth of flavor to the slow cooked beef ribs.
- Beef Broth: Use your favorite low-sodium beef broth for this recipe. Homemade really adds to the flavor!
- Balsamic Vinegar: This adds a slight touch of acid and sweetness to the sauce and works so well with all the other ingredients!
Step by Step
For the full recipe for slow cooker beef short ribs with measurements, see the recipe card at the end of the post.
This short rib recipe in the slow cooker is incredibly versatile, so you can enjoy it with all sorts of sides!
Mashed potatoes are one of my favorite accompaniments. Try my Crockpot mashed potatoes, Ninja Foodi mashed potatoes, or mascarpone mashed potatoes.
I also love to serve the ribs over creamy slow cooker polenta.
Round out the meal with a simple green salad, garlic butter asparagus, and bread machine dinner rolls.
How do I make the drippings into a gravy or sauce?
The drippings from beef short ribs in the crock pot are going to be loaded with flavor!
Since they have a lot of fat, may want to strain the liquids before using them as a sauce or gravy. To do this, spoon the liquid into a fat separator or large bowl and allow it to sit for 15 minutes.
The fat will rise to the top and can then be skimmed off. This step is completely optional - I skip it almost every time!
To make the sauce, transfer the remaining juices to a small saucepan and heat over medium-high heat. Reduce the heat to a simmer and whisk in 1 tablespoon of cornstarch, stirring for about 5 to 10 minutes until thickened.
Season to taste with salt and pepper before serving. Enjoy!
Should I use bone-in or boneless short ribs when slow cooking?
I prefer to use bone-in short ribs because the bone adds lots of flavor when making beef ribs in the crock pot.
You can use either "long bone" short ribs (where the meat sits on top of the bone) or flanken style (where with portion contains three pieces of rib bone with the meat lying across them).
Boneless will also work, but you'll need to reduce cooking time. Either way, make sure you brown them before slow cooking for the best flavor and texture!
Can you slow cook short ribs to long?
Yes, it is possible to overcook this beef short ribs recipe in the slow cooker.
Slow cooking is best when done between 8-10 hours, depending on the size and type of cut you are using.
It's important to check the temperature regularly while the ribs are cooking, as they should be cooked to an internal temperature of 190ºF before being removed from the heat.
Cooked beyond this temperature can result in overcooked and dry short ribs with a tough texture.
As an amazon associate, I earn from qualifying sales.
- Slow Cooker - Use a crockpot or multi-cooker such as the Ninja PossibleCooker or Instant Pot Dutch Oven
More Slow Cooker Recipes to Try
- For a hearty meal that is sure to satisfy, don't miss this Crockpot lasagna with ricotta.
- Crockpot cheesy potatoes are quick to make and even quicker to disappear! Make this simple recipe once and your family will ask for it again and again.
- For a restaurant quality meal without a lot of effort, slow cooker french dip sandwiches are always perfect.
- For a hearty starter or comforting main, you will love this Crockpot broccoli cheese soup.
Slow Cooker Short Ribs
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons dried rosemary
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- ½ teaspoon dried mustard
- 3 pounds bone-in beef short ribs
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil
- 1 onion diced
- 2 carrots diced
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- In a small bowl, stir together the garlic powder, rosemary, oregano, salt, and mustard.
- Pat the short ribs dry with paper towels, and then sprinkle the seasoning mix on the outside. You can refrigerate overnight if you like, or proceed with the recipe.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add the seasoned short ribs and cook on all sides for 1 minute per side.
- Transfer the beef ribs to your slow cooker using tongs.
- Add the carrots and onion to the skillet, and cook for 6 minutes. Add the tomato paste directly to the oil, and stir for 1 minute before stirring the paste into the vegetables.
- Add the vegetables to your crockpot.
- Pour the beef broth and vinegar on top.
- Cook on low for 8 hours.
I had been wanting to do a short rib crockpot recipe for sometime, but hadn’t found one that appealed to me until I came across yours. I followed the recipe exactly. The short ribs came out great. I reduced the cooking liquid and made a sauce for them. We really enjoyed them, but am going to make some minor tweaks. We both love onions so will add an additional onion next time. I am not a carrot fan but my wife is so won’t make a change there. I am going to add the veggies without sautéing them next time. Save a little time and with the long cook time I believe they will come out fine. We served them with Spinach Maria and a glass of French Burgundy and thoroughly enjoyed the meal.
I am so glad you enjoyed it! More onions would be delicious - I still have a little one who "thinks" she hates onions, so I tend to go lighter most of the time. If you happen to think of it, let me know how your tweaks go.