Do you have a happy place?
Mine is the beach.
I feel so blessed to have spent this fall and winter here:
With these guys:
Though I love it, usually by this time of year the weather starts to wear on me.
I DON’T do cold and live in denial each year that it is ever going to get cold.
Seriously, other than my running shoes I don’t even own a closed toe pair of shoes. I just run around in my flip-flops all winter (silently) complaining about how cold it is.
Crazy-Wendy-Logic: If I buy appropriate clothing I am preparing for cold and in the process must accept that even in Florida the weather gets yucky in the winter.
This year I can’t complain. We had some nasty weather over the holidays but January was pretty amazing.
Today, however, it is cold.
Like it got down into the 30’s this morning-cold. Brrrr!
(Good thing for me I went to the grocery store yesterday. :))
I’m the crazy Floridian who acts like those of you up north would act with a foot of snow at the first sign of frost on my windshield.
Cancel everything! Build a fire! Buy snow bread!
And of course, make soup.
Today’s soup is one you have to try – simple & delicious!
Do you like the cold?
Tomato Cheddar Quinoa Soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 sweet onion chopped
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme
- 1/4 cup dry white wine or broth
- 1 cup cooked quinoa
- 28 ounces fire roasted tomatoes
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 4 ounces cheddar cheese grated
- Heat 1/2 tablespoon love oil in a saucepan over medium low heat. Add onion and cook for 7 to 10 minutes. Add garlic and thyme and cook for one more minute. Increase heat to medium high and add wine or broth. Cook for 4 minutes. Add tomatoes, quinoa, broth, salt, pepper and crushed red pepper and bring to a boil. Reduce to simmer and cover. Cook for 10 minutes.
- Using an immersion blender puree soup until smooth. (You may also do this in batches in your blender.) Return soup to pot and heat to low. Stir in cheese a little bit at a time until melted.
Recipe NotesServings 6, Calories 268, Fat 10.6g, Carbohydrates 18.6g, Protein 19.9g, Cholesterol 56mg, Sodium 673mg, Fiber 3.2g, Sugars 6.8g, WW Pts 7