This Cheddar Apple Soup is the perfect fall soup! It's creamy, comforting and full of flavor. The best part is that it's easy to make and can be on the table in just 30 minutes. So if you're looking for a delicious and easy soup to add to your fall repertoire, look no further than this Apple Cheddar Soup!
Fall will be here before we know it, and that means it is time to start dreaming of all the delicious soups that we can make.
This Apple Cheddar Soup is at the top of our list! It's creamy comfort food thats full of flavor.
And, thanks to a secret ingredient, it is also loaded with nutrition.
The best part is that it's easy to make and can be on the table in just 30 minutes. So if you're looking for a delicious and easy soup to add to your fall repertoire, look no further than this Cheddar Apple Soup.
- Onion: Finely chop your onion for a smoother texture and a pop of flavor in every bite.
- Apple: We love the sweetness and tartness that apples add to this soup. Feel free to use any type of apple you like
- Quinoa: This superfood adds protein, fiber, and a nutty flavor to the soup
- Broth: I like making my own vegetable broth.
- Apple juice: For sweetness and depth of flavor
- Thyme: A classic fall flavor that pairs perfectly with apples and cheddar cheese
- Red pepper flakes: Add a little bit of heat to the soup. You can always adjust to your liking
- Salt and black pepper: To taste
- Cheddar cheese: We love the sharpness of cheddar in this soup, but you can use any type of cheese you like. If you're looking for a dairy-free option, we recommend using Daiya.
- Gluten-free bread: For croutons! You can also use regular bread if you're not gluten-free
- Dijon mustard: For a little bit of richness and tanginess
- Chopped chives: For garnish (optional)
Tips and Tricks
- You can use an immersion blender to make blending the soup easier.
- For extra flavor, try roasting the apples before adding them to the soup.
- To make this soup vegan, simply use a vegan cheese such as Daiya.
This Apple Cheddar Soup is the perfect fall meal! Serve it with a side of crusty bread for dipping, a green salad, and a glass of apple cider.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, you can! Simply add all of the ingredients (except for the bread and chives) to the slow cooker and cook on low for 4-6 hours.
Absolutely! If you're not a fan of cheddar cheese, feel free to use any type of cheese you like. Swiss, Gruyere, and Gouda would all be great options.
Yes, you can! Simply use a gluten-free bread for the croutons and you're good to go.
This Apple Cheddar Soup can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
To reheat, simply heat on the stove over medium heat until warmed through. You may need to add a splash of water or broth if the soup has thickened too much.
First, start by cooking the onion and apple in a large pot with some olive oil. Cook until the apple is soft, which should take about 8 to 10 minutes.
Next, add the quinoa, broth, apple juice, thyme, crushed red pepper, salt, and pepper to the pot. Bring everything to a simmer, then cover and cook for 10 minutes.
After 10 minutes, add all but ¼ cup of the cheese to the soup and stir until melted. Allow the soup to cool slightly.
Working in batches, puree in a blender.
While the soup is cooking and cooling, preheat the broiler. Spread the Dijon mustard on the bread and top with remaining cheese. Cook until the cheese is melted and then cut into 1” squares.
Ladle the soup into bowls and then top with croutons and chives.
More Soup Recipes to Try:
- Crockpot Taco Soup is an easy take on a much loved classic. This soup is destined to become a cool-weather habit!
- Healthy Butternut Squash Soup has the best flavors of fall in the confines of a wholesome and delicious bowl.
- Roasted Red Pepper and Tomato Soup is a grown-up take on tomato soup that still pairs well with a grilled cheese sandwich.
- Gluten Free Cream of Mushroom Soup is SO much better than soup in a can. Make it once and you will turn to it over and over.
Apple Cheddar Soup
- 1 onion chopped fine
- 1 large apple peeled and chopped
- 1 ½ cups cooked quinoa
- 3 ½ cups chicken broth or vegetable
- 1 cup unsweetened apple juice
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 8 ounces cheddar cheese or Daiya
- 3 slices gluten free bread
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- Chopped Chives
- Spray a large pot with olive oil and add onion and apple. Cook until the apple is soft, about 8 to 10 minutes.
- Add quinoa, broth, apple juice, thyme, crushed red pepper, salt and pepper and bring to a simmer.
- Cover and cook for 10 minutes. Add all but ¼ cup of the cheese and cook over low until melted. Allow to cool slightly then working in batches, puree in a blender.
- Meanwhile, preheat the broiler. Spread mustard on bread and top with remaining cheese. Cook until cheese is melted and then cut into 1” squares.
- Ladle soup into bowls and then top with croutons and chives.
I've never had apple in my soup before. YUM!