You are going to fall in love with this Turmeric Chicken recipe! It is ridiculously aromatic and full of flavor. Turmeric gives the chicken a deep color that makes this dish the star of your dinner table. Feel free to add sauteed spinach or broccoli to the mix! This recipe is highly adaptable, and you can also play with the spices, making this as spicy or mild as you like. This is one of our favorite meaty mains.
I am Obsessed with Turmeric Chicken!
I have a new obsession and luckily it is a healthy one.
I’m completely obsessed with turmeric.
Not only is it the latest super food, but it makes your dishes both delicious and BEAUTIFUL!
Doesn’t the color of this Turmeric Chicken & Quinoa look festive? Perfect to take to a potluck for a healthy alternative or to make ahead to have on hand for the busy work week. (Don’t you just love leftovers?!)
The Benefits of Turmeric
If you are new to turmeric, you must try this bright yellow curry spice! It contains a powerful anti-inflammatory called curcumin. Let’s take a look at some of the benefits.
- A recent study suggest that 500mg twice a day can help with osteoarthritis, specifically in the knee. Bonus: take them with olive oil and black pepper to help with absorption. Apparently this combination leads to up to 2,000% more bioavailabiltiy of curcumin.
- It also can be considered nature’s prozac. In a study published in Phytotherapy Research, 1000mg of curcumin was shown to be just as effective as treating depression as prozac. Curcumin inhibits the production of monoamine oxidase, and enzyme that in high levels is linked to depression.
- May help prevent heart attacks.
- May help delay diabetes.
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualified purchases.
Want to supplement with Turmeric? (I do, every day!)
Now obviously, therapeutic levels require supplementation (I take this one every day), but that is no reason to miss out on cooking with this amazing spice.
How to Make Turmeric Chicken and Quinoa
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper. I use a teaspoon of salad and 1/2 teaspoon pepper, but you can adjust according to your tastes.
- Heat oil in a large dutch oven over medium heat. Add the turmeric and stir. Immediately add the chicken to the pan.
- Cook the chicken until it is browned and cooked through, about 7 minutes per side. (Time will vary based on the size of the chicken breasts. I recommend using an instant-read thermometer and removing the chicken when it is between 155 and 160 degrees.)
- Add the onion and ginger to the pan. Cook for 8 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the garlic, tomatoes, curry powder, cumin, and quinoa.
- Cook, constantly stirring for 3 minutes.
- Shred the chicken and return it to the dutch oven.
- Add bay leaves, fish sauce, and chicken broth. Bring to a simmer.
- Cover, and cook over low for 25 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let stand covered for 5 minutes.
- Fluff and serve.
Recommended Tools to Make This Recipe
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualified purchases.
Frequently Asked Questions for this Turmeric Chicken Recipe
Yes! You can cook this recipe ahead of time and simply reheat when you are ready to serve. I recommend reheating in a skillet.
Yes! This recipe can be frozen for up to three months. You can thaw and reheat in a skillet, or cover and reheat in the oven from frozen.
Variations for This Recipe:
- Make this vegan and dairy-free by using either tempeh or Beyond Meat strips, vegetable broth, and a vegan fish sauce substitute.
- Even if you aren’t vegan, some people really don’t like the smell of fish sauce. (I hate fish and still don’t mind it in recipes.). If that is you, simply use the vegan option above.
- You can add more turmeric for a richer flavor, but you will likely want to add in more of the other spices to balance the flavor.
- If you can find it, fresh grated turmeric is lovely here. It has more flavor and aroma than dried. Start with 1 tablespoon and adjust the seasonings from there.
- If quinoa isn’t your thing, this is also fabulous with rice. Make sure you adjust the cooking time according to the type of rice you are using.
If You Like This Turmeric Chicken Recipe You May Also Like:
- Turmeric Ginger Tea
- Turmeric Quinoa with Pomegranates
- DIY Turmeric Face Mask
- Turmeric Rice
- Instant Pot Quinoa
Turmeric Chicken and Quinoa
This Turmeric Chicken & Quinoa is a healthy one dish meal the whole family will love. Healthy doesn’t get much tastier than this!
Turmeric Chicken & Quinoa
- Dutch Oven
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken or tempeh
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 tablespoon grated chopped peeled fresh ginger
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 2 plum tomatoes chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 cups quinoa rinsed
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Asian fish sauce
- 2 3/4 cups chicken broth or vegetable broth
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper. In a large Dutch Oven, heat the olive oil to medium and add turmeric. Stir and add chicken.
- Cook until browned on both sides. Transfer to a plate. Allow to cool and then shred.
- Add the onion and ginger and cook for 8 minutes. Add garlic, tomatoes, curry powder, cumin and quinoa. Cook, string constantly for 3 minutes.
- Return the chicken to the pot. Add bay leaves, fish sauce and chicken broth. Bring to a simmer.
- Cover and cook over low heat for 25 minutes. Remove from heat and let stand covered for 5 minutes.
Other Recipes with Turmeric to Try:
Prevention Magazine, October, 2014, September, 2014, January 2014