This Apple, Pecan, and Goat Cheese Quinoa Salad is the perfect quinoa salad recipe for fall and winter! With a deliciously tangy apple cider vinegar dressing, this easy quinoa salad will become a fall staple recipe.
I'm so excited to have Taylor from Greens & Chocolate with us today to share an amazing looking quinoa salad! ~
Hey Cooking Quinoa Readers!
My name is Taylor and I blog over at greens & chocolate and I'm so excited to be posting here today! Before we get to the food, let me introduce myself. I'm a physical therapist during the day, and a food blogger at night. My theory for eating a healthy, balanced diet is to eat nutritious and whole foods most of the time, but always saving a little room for dessert. Life would be no fun without chocolate, in my opinion!
Now, onto the quinoa! We took advantage of the spectacular fall weather last weekend and visited an apple orchard. Picking apples is one of my favorite fall activities and I make a point to get out there every single year. While I enjoy making the staple apple treats like apple pie, apple crisp, and apple cake, I also like to use apples in savory dishes too.
In this quinoa salad, I paired fresh chopped apples with pecans, dried cranberries, goat cheese, and a maple vinaigrette. This salad just screams fall, doesn't it?! I also threw in some chopped spinach to add some green to the salad, but you could also use kale or arugula if you prefer.
The flavors of this salad ended up working really well together. The tart but sweet apples are the star of the show, supported by the rich and buttery flavor of the roasted pecans, the sweet dried cranberries, and the tangy goat cheese. The maple vinaigrette also works really well in this salad. This would be a lovely side dish for some late fall grilling and also made for a delicious light lunch.
Apple, Pecan, and Goat Cheese Quinoa Salad
- For the salad:
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 2 apples diced (you can use your favorite variety)
- 1/2 cup pecans toasted and roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 2 cups baby spinach roughly chopped
- 6 oz goat cheese crumbled
- For the dressing:
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1-2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- salt to taste
- Bring water or vegetable broth to a boil in a small pot. Add quinoa, lower to a simmer and cover. Cook for 15-20 minutes, checking periodically, until all water/broth is absorbed and quinoa has cooked.
- While quinoa is cooking, prepare the other ingredients.
- Chop the apples, pecans, and spinach.
- Make the dressing by combining all ingredients in a mason jar with a lid and shaking to combine or in a bowl and whisking to mix.
- Once quinoa is finished cooking, combine quinoa with apples, pecans, cranberries, and spinach.
- Toss with dressing.
- Top with goat cheese and serve.