This Jeweled Quinoa Salad is a versatile quinoa salad recipe that works well as a holiday side, but is simple enough for every day. Beautiful, delicious and nutritious!
I never put recipes that I don’t like on the website, but some of them hold a special place in my heart.
This Jeweled Quinoa Salad is one of them.
I created this recipe almost seven years ago, and it is still one of my favorites. I have lost track of how many times I’ve made it, but every time I do I wonder why I don’t make it more often.
I love everything about it – the colors, the texture, and the taste. I would argue that it is pretty enough for your holiday table!
It makes a fabulous side dish, but also works well as a vegan main course. I’ve been known to eat it for breakfast on more than one occasion. (But I am weird like that. I routinely eat a green salad for breakfast.)
Don’t you love how turmeric colors quinoa?
I try to use turmeric in my cooking as often as I can. Not only does it give dishes fabulous color, but it is such a nutritional powerhouse, helping to ease pain and inflammation. (I take a turmeric supplement daily as well.)
The combination of turmeric, quinoa, and pistachios turns this vegan quinoa salad into a meal that will keep you fueled without weighing you down. I don’t know about you, but I need all the help I can get this time of year.
If You Like This Jeweled Quinoa Salad You May Also Like:
- Cashew Orange & Mango Quinoa Salad
- Quinoa Protein Power Bowl
- Balsamic Quinoa Salad
- Corn Arugula Avocado Quinoa Salad
Jeweled Quinoa Salad
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 green onions chopped (white and green parts, divided)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 cup quinoa rinsed
- 3 tsp garlic minced
- 1 1/4 cups vegetable broth or chicken broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tablespoons chopped dried apricots
- 2 tablespoons dried cranberries
- 2 tablespoons dried raisins
- 1/3 cup pistachios chopped
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Heat olive oil in a saucepan. Add the white part of the green onions, turmeric, and quinoa and sauté for 3 minutes. Add garlic and cook 1 more minute.
- Add vegetable broth, bay leaf, salt, and pepper.
- Bring to a simmer and reduce to low. Cover and cook 25 to 30 minutes. Remove from heat. Fold in fruits and cover. Allow to sit for 5 minutes.
- Stir in pistachios, green onion tops, and lemon juice. May be served warm, at room temperature or chilled.