This Avocado Mango Quinoa Salad is the perfect summertime dish! It's healthy, refreshing, and full of delicious flavors. The quinoa makes it hearty and satisfying, while the fruit adds sweetness and crunch. This salad is perfect for a light lunch or dinner, or as a side dish at your next potluck or BBQ.
This Avocado Mango Quinoa Salad is a healthy and flavorful dish that is perfect for any occasion.
The quinoa provides a hearty base, while the mango and avocado add a touch of sweetness and creaminess.
The vinegar from the quick pickled onion gives it a nice acidic pop while the arugula and red pepper give it an underlying hint of spicy pepper flavor. Round it all out with pineapple which adds a bright flavor pop of acidity and sweetness that pairs nicely with the pepperiness of the arugula and red pepper.
This salad can be served as a side dish or main course, and can be easily customized to your liking.
Whether you're looking for a light lunch or a hearty dinner, this Mango Avocado Quinoa Salad will not disappoint.
This Mango Avocado Quinoa Salad is:
- Red Onion: Doing a quick pickle on the red onions adds a bright pop of acidity, softens the texture, and provides a great tang to the dish.
- Vinegar: We love the delicate acidity that champagne vinegar provides, but most often use white wine vinegar since that is what I have on hand. You can also use red wine vinegar if that's what you have on hand.
- Sea Salt: Season to taste!
- Basil: You can use fresh or dried basil.
- Olive Oil: This is the time to pull out a good quality extra virgin olive oil.
- Spinach or Baby Arugula: We love the slight bitterness and peppery flavor of arugula, but spinach works great as well.
- Cooked Quinoa: Quinoa is a nutrient-rich seed that provides a hearty base for this salad.
- Roasted Red Pepper: Roasting your own red peppers is easy and adds a nice smoky flavor to the salad. You can buy bottled roasted red peppers if you prefer.
- Mango: Mangoes are the perfect sweet and addition to this salad.
- Pineapple: Pineapple adds a bright pop of sweetness and acidity to this dish. We love the way it pairs with the mango and avocado.
- Avocado: Avocado adds creaminess and a rich flavor to this salad that plays perfectly with pineapple and mangoes.. It also helps to bind all of the ingredients together.
Tips and Tricks
- Cook the quinoa ahead of time to save on prep time.
- If you're short on time, you can also use jarred roasted red peppers.
- Be sure to use ripe mangoes for the best flavor
- If you're not a fan of pineapple, you can leave it out or substitute with another fruit, like more mango or papaya.
- For more protein in this avocado and pineapple salad, you can add in a can of drained and rinsed black beans.
Mango and pineapple salad makes a great and refreshing vegan meal. Loaded with fresh fruit, it is nutritious and delicious.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I cook quinoa?
To cook quinoa, rinse it in a fine mesh strainer and then combine it with 2 cups of water in a medium saucepan. Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for about 15 minutes, or until the quinoa is cooked through. Fluff with a fork and then let it cool before adding it to the salad.
Can I use another type of vinegar?
Yes, you can use red wine vinegar or apple cider vinegar in place of white or champagne vinegar.
What if I don't have mangoes?
A: If you don't have mangoes or they aren't in season, you can substitute with another fruit, like pineapple or papaya.
This mango quinoa salad will last in the fridge for 3-5 days. We recommend storing it in an airtight container to keep it fresh for as long as possible.
I do not recommend freezing pineapple and mango salad.
First, start by cooking the quinoa according to package instructions.
Then, in a small saucepan, bring the vinegar to a simmer and add the red onion and salt.
Remove from heat and allow to cool completely. Drain onions, reserving liquid in a small bowl. Add olive oil (or chia gel) and basil, then whisk together.
In a large bowl, combine reserved onions, spinach, quinoa, roasted red pepper, mango, pineapple and avocado. Toss with dressing and top with nuts if desired. Serve immediately or store in an airtight container in the fridge for later. Enjoy!
Avocado Mango Quinoa Salad
- ½ cup chopped red onion
- ⅓ cup white wine vinegar champagne or red vinegar
- ¾ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 tablespoon basil chopped
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil OR ¾ teaspoon chia seeds + 2 tablespoons water
- 2 cups spinach or baby arugula
- 1 cup cooked quinoa
- 1 roasted red pepper diced
- 1 mango peeled and diced
- 1 cup diced and peeled pineapple
- 1 avocado peeled and diced
- In a small saucepan, bring vinegar to a simmer. Add red onion and salt and vinegar.
- Remove from heat. Allow to cool completely. Drain onions, reserving liquid in a small bowl. Add olive oil and whisk together.
- In a large bowl combine reserved onions, spinach, quinoa, roasted red pepper, mango, pineapple and avocado.
- (NOTE: if you are preparing ahead wait until you are ready to serve to add the avocado to prevent it getting discolored.) Toss with dressing.