Start your day with comfort food! This Banana Quinoa Breakfast Bake is easy to make and packed with nutrition. With gluten-free and conventional options, this is a delicious breakfast the whole family will love.
I am happy to have Kristy from Southern in Law here with us today to share a Banana Quinoa Breakfast Bake.
Why hello there!
My name is Kristy and I blog over at Southern In-Law. I was delighted when Wendy asked if I’d consider guest posting on Cooking Quinoa and I quickly got my thinking cap on as I’m a quinoa addict!
At the moment, I’m quite time poor as I’m managing a busy blog and a busy business and I thought I’d throw in a wedding to top things off! (October 12 is fast approaching, let me tell you!) Breakfast bakes have become a staple for me as they’re a quick and easy breakfast that I can eat on the run or quickly devour at home – I like to top them with some nut butter, but you can eat them however you fancy!
I’m a bit of a breakfast bake recipe queen and constantly creating new variations, but here is one of my new favourites – Banana Quinoa Breakfast Bakes! This recipe can be adapted to suit your needs – whether you need a gluten free version, vegan version or whole wheat version and they’re also low in fat and sugar free – oh, and did I mention delicious? I like to make mine in big batches so I can defrost one overnight for breakfast the next morning – that way all you have to do is add some toppings and dig in! If you prefer, you can make these into muffins or even pancakes!
Banana Quinoa Breakfast Bakes
- Choose one of the below flour options total ¾ cup:
- Gluten Free Versions:
- ⅓ cup + 1 tablespoon buckwheat flour and ⅓ cup gluten free self raising flour
- ¾ cup gluten free self raising flour
- Wheat Options:
- ¾ cup whole wheat flour
- ¾ cup plain flour
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- A pinch of salt and baking soda
- 1 cup cooked quinoa cooled (about ¼ cup dry quinoa)
- 1 cup mashed banana about 2 medium bananas
- ½ cup egg whites or 2 eggs or ½ cup applesauce for a vegan version
- ⅓ cup milk of your choice
- 2 teaspoon vanilla
- Optional: added spices/mix ins or 2 tablespoon honey/maple syrup/sugar if you like things sweet.
- If you haven’t already, cook your quinoa. Preheat your oven to 180°C/355°F and grease and/or line 3 individual ramekins/baking dishes or a small cake tin.
- Combine your chosen flour(s), baking powder, salt, baking soda, quinoa and any other additions (if using).
- In a separate bowl, combine your banana, egg whites, milk and vanilla. Mix together your wet and dry ingredients, stirring until just combined. Pour your mixture into your ramekins and place into the oven. Bake for 30-45 minutes or until they are cooked all the way through and golden on top.
Kristy is a coeliac and passionate about healthy living. She’s just about to marry her Southern Gentleman, Jesse, who moved to Sydney from Louisiana USA after the two were in a long distance relationships for over 5 years. Southern In-Law covers everything in Kristy and Jesse’s life – from their favourite healthy recipes to fitness plans and ideas to their travels and everything in between. Southern In-Law has become Kristy and Jesse’s baby and they love motivating others to live a healthy lifestyle.
You can learn more about Kristy and Jesse and read their entire story at their blog, Southern In-Law
Site URL: Southern in Law
Social Media Links:
If You Like This Post You May Also Like: