There is no doubt that quinoa is a great way to start the day, but up until now I’ve never been successful at getting my children on the bandwagon. The baby (Ok, he’s five but who’s counting?) always wants eggs and toast and my oldest (aka the commander) is a lot like me in that he would generally prefer something other than breakfast food in the morning.
Still, I couldn’t help but want to try out the Baked Oatmeal recipe from Super Natural Every Day. I knew it had all makings for the perfect quinoa breakfast that my kids would love.
Its the perfect dish for a brunch or just a lazy weekend morning.
I actually started putting it together the night before because I would rather use my time in the morning drinking coffee and snuggling with the boys before they jump into action than working in the kitchen.
Baked Quinoa and Oatmeal
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1 cup quinoa soaked and rinsed
- 1/2 cup toasted walnuts
- 1/3 cup natural sugar or maple syrup
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 2 cups low fat milk
- 1 large egg
- 3 T unsalted butter melted
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 2 bananas cut into pieces
- 1 1/2 cups mixed berries
- Preheat oven to 375 and spray olive oil in your pan to prevent sticking.
- Mix together oats, quinoa, half of walnuts, sugar (if using otherwise add maple syrup with wet ingredients), baking powder, cinnamon and salt. (Note: this can be done ahead of time.)
- In a separate bowl lightly beat egg and add in milk, vanilla, maple syrup (if using) and half of the slightly cooled butter.
- Place banana slices on the bottom of the prepared pan. Top with 2/3 of the berries and cover with oat mixture. Pour wet ingredients over and make sure the dry ingredients are covered. Top with remaining berries and walnuts.
- Bake for 40 minutes. Drizzle with remaining melted butter and additional maple syrup or sugar if desired.
- Adapted from Super Natural Every Day