This colorful Beet Orange Salad is every bit as enticing as it looks. Perfect for holiday entertaining, this dish will be the highlight of your table. Earthy beets pair perfectly with sweet citrus and buttery avocado. Top it with a punchy white wine dressing, and you have got a combination that is guaranteed to keep you coming back for more.
This Beet Orange and Goat Cheese Salad is Perfect for Entertaining!
If you love setting a beautiful table as much as I do, this salad recipe is for you!
I love a good roasted beet salad, and this Beet Avocado Orange Salad is one of my favorites. I love the combination of flavor and textures and always get compliments on how it looks on the table.
Give it a try, and I think you will agree!
Tips & Tricks
- The total cooking time of the beets will depend on their size. They are done when you can easily stick a fork or skewer into them.
- You can use a sharp knife to slice the beets, but I like to use a mandolin to ensure uniform thickness for this Beet Orange Salad. Don’t forget to use that guard!
- I recommend using disposable food-prep gloves when handling the beets because they will stain your fingers.
- Likewise, work with them on a dishwasher-safe cutting board or on a sheet of parchment paper to avoid a mess on your counters.
- Don’t skip tasting the dressing and adding sweetener to taste. If you happen to have an orange that is more bitter than sweet, it will throw off the taste of the entire dish.
- You can marinate the beets and onion up to a day ahead of time, as well as slice the oranges. The rest of the dish should be assembled shortly before serving to avoid the avocado turning brown and the beets bleeding into the other ingredients.
- Don’t like the mess of beets? Make this beet salad with goat cheese and orange vinaigrette using golden beets.
- Short on time? Many grocery stores now sell beets that are already roasted and peeled. Look for them in the produce department.
Variations for Roasted Beet Salad with Oranges
- Want to make a beet orange and goat cheese salad? Sprinkle on some goat cheese - this is a great vegan goat cheese.
- I am a big fan of sweet heat. Add a touch of cayenne pepper to the dressing if you are too.
- If you prefer, you can use balsamic vinegar or red wine vinegar instead of white wine vinegar.
- Blood oranges are lovely in this orange beet salad if you can find them.
- If you want to add a little green to the plate, peppery arugula is a good option.
The beet salad dressing with orange juice can be stored in the fridge for up to five days.
For the salad, you can prep the components ahead of time and then add the avocado just before serving.
I recommend waiting to put the salad together until just before serving because the beets will bleed onto the rest of this beet salad recipe. I like to serve this salad on a platter, but you could use a bowl if you like.
How to Make Beet Orange Salad
First, preheat your oven to 400 degrees. Trim and wash your beets and then place them in a large baking pan.
Cover with foil and cook for between 45 to 60 minutes.
While the beets are cooking, make the orange dressing by combining the orange juice, white wine vinegar, and shallot in a blender.
With the motor running, add the olive oil in a steady stream. Season with salt and pepper. Taste, add sweetener if desired. (I recommend adding it a teaspoon at a time.)
Place the cooked beets and red onion in a medium shallow dish. Toss with ¼ cup of the dressing.
Cover tightly with plastic wrap. Let sit at room temperature if you are serving within a few days, or refrigerate overnight.
When you are ready to serve, place the beets and onion on a serving platter or individual plates. Top with the oranges and avocado.
Drizzle with dressing and sprinkle with walnuts. If desired, garnish with chives.
You May Also Like
- Don’t you love recipes where the payoff in flavor is disproportionate to the effort involved? This Mushroom Cauliflower Risotto is a no-fuss side dish that is perfect for entertaining.
- When you want to make something that you can be sure everyone will love, it doesn’t get much better than this delicious Steak with Mushrooms.
- Roasted Vegetables are always an easy side, and you are going to love the tangy Mustard-Wine Vinaigrette.
- Risotto without standing over a hot stove? Sign me up! You are going to go wild for this Butternut Squash Pressure Cooker Risotto.
Beet Orange Salad with Avocado
- 4 beets
- ½ cup fresh-squeezed orange juice the juice from 1 orange
- ¼ cup white wine vinegar
- 1 shallot or red onion, minced
- ⅔ cup extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- ½ red onion sliced
- 2 navel oranges peeled and sliced
- 1 avocado peeled pitted, and sliced
- ¼ cup walnuts chopped
- Fresh chives for garnish optional
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees. Trim and wash the beets.
- Place in a large baking pan and cover with foil.
- Roast for 45 to 60 minutes until the beets are tender. Allow to cool and then peel and slice.
- While the beets are cooking, make the dressing by combining the orange juice, white cooking wine, and shallot in a blender.
- With the motor running, add in ⅔ cup extra virgin olive oil and process until emulsified.
- Taste the dressing. If your orange was not sweet enough, you might need to add up to 2 tablespoons of sweetener.
- Place the beets and red onion in a shallow dish. Toss with ¼ cup of dressing. (If you like, you can do this ahead of time and keep in the refrigerator until you are ready to serve.)
- Arrange the beets and onion on a serving platter or individual plates. Top with the oranges and avocado. Drizzle with vinaigrette. Sprinkle with walnuts and garnish with chives if desired.