Steak and Mushrooms will never go out of style! This dish has such a luxurious feel, making it perfect for entertaining. But don't worry, this recipe is easy enough to maintain a casual vibe.) It works well with a side of crockpot mashed potatoes, bread machine dinner rolls, or a simple green salad with some peppery arugula. Leftovers - if you have any - are fabulous in a wrap or bowl with blue cheese.
When I want to serve a meal that will impress without a lot of fuss, cooking steak with mushrooms is always my go-to meal.
If you think about it - steak is the ultimate fast food. It cooks in a flash, isn't incredibly fussy, and is universally loved.
This is the best steak and mushroom recipe - it deserves to become a habit!
- Red Wine: When making red wine marinated steak, use a wine that you would drink. (But no need to go for the expensive stuff.)
- Thyme: If you can't find thyme, look for other fresh herbs. Rosemary is a great option.
- Garlic: Freshly minced garlic is best here.
- Red Pepper Flakes: For a touch more heat, you can use ¼ to ½ teaspoon of cayenne pepper.
- Salt and Pepper: I recommend a teaspoon of salt and ½ teaspoon of black pepper.
- Steak: Use your favorite cut! New York strip, tenderloin, porterhouse, and ribeye are all great options for this recipe.
- Onion: White or yellow onion work best.
- Mushrooms: You can use any type of mushroom you like. (I like baby Bellas or shiitake mushrooms when I can find them.) For entertainment, I will often buy a gourmet blend. Buying sliced mushrooms is a great way to save time.
- White Wine: This adds a nice pop of flavor to the mushrooms, but feel free to omit. Beef broth would be a good alternative.
Tips & Tricks for Making Grilled Steak with Mushrooms
- If you have the time, salt the steaks for up to two days before marinating them on a wire rack set on a baking sheet. The salt will work its way into the meat, seasoning and breaking down muscle proteins. Not only will the steak be more tender and flavorful, but it will also be juicier.
- Pull the steak out of the refrigerator at least 30 minutes before cooking to let them temper.
- Don't skip resting the steak before cutting! If you cut the steak while it is still too warm, it will lose a lot of juice.
- If you prefer a mushroom gravy, add 1 cup of good quality beef broth to the mushrooms and thicken it with ¼ - ½ teaspoons of xanthan gum or 1 tablespoon of cornstarch mixed with 2 tablespoons of broth.
- For even more flavor, top your steak with compound butter.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the appropriate internal temperature for steak?
The appropriate temperature is a matter of personal choice.
120 degrees F - Rare
130 degrees F - Medium-Rare
140 degrees F - Medium
150 degrees F - Medium-Well
160 degrees F - Well Done
What sides go well with steak?
Garlic Roasted Broccoli
Air Fried Asparagus
What cut of steak is best for this recipe?
This is entirely a matter of personal preference. My daughter likes ribeye steaks, while I prefer a strip or filet.
Since you are marinating, a more economical cut like a flank steak or skirt steak would also work.
Tools Needed to Make Steak and Mushroom Recipe
As an amazon associate, I earn from qualified sales.
- Grill or Grill Pan
- Shallow dish for marinating
Store leftovers sealed in the refrigerator for up to four days.
How to Make Grilled Steak with Mushrooms and Onions
Step 1: Make the marinade.
Combine red wine, fresh thyme, garlic, crushed red pepper, salt, and pepper in a small saucepan over high heat.
Step 2: Simmer
Bring the mixture to a simmer (the point just before a boil), and then reduce the heat to medium. Cook until the wine has reduced by more than half.
Step 3: Cool
Allow the mixture to cool completely. Remove the fresh thyme.
Step 4: Marinate
Put the steak in a shallow dish or large zip-top bag. Marinate for four hours or overnight.
Step 5: Cook Steak
Heat a grill or grill pan to high. Brush with oil. Remove the steak from the marinade and cook to desired doneness. Allow to rest for 10 minutes.
Step 6: Cook Onion
Heat a large skillet to medium-high heat and spray VERY WELL with oil. (You can also drizzle oil in the pan.). Cook the onions for 4 minutes until they start to soften.
Step 7: Add Mushrooms
Add the mushrooms to the pan and season to taste with salt and pepper. Cook for about 8 minutes.
Step 8: Add White Wine
Add the wine, and cook for 2 more minutes. Remove from heat.
You May Also Like
- Looking to add something green to your plate? This Ninja Foodi Grill Asparagus is perfect! Finish the meal off with Maple Cheesecake for a luxurious meal that is sure to please.
- This Mediterranean Chicken Breast is another delicious recipe that is perfect for entertaining.
- Mexican Steak Salad makes the perfect summer dinner! Leftovers are a filling lunch.
- Gluten-Free Steak Gyros are a family favorite that I turn to again and again.
Steak and Mushrooms
- 2 cups red wine
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 16 ounces steak
- ½ large onion diced or 1 medium
- 8 ounces mushrooms sliced
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- ¼ cup white wine
- Place the red cooking wine, thyme, garlic, crushed red pepper, salt, and pepper in a small saucepan over high heat.
- Bring to a simmer and then reduce the heat to medium.
- Cook for 10 minutes, or until the mixture has reduced by more than half.
- Cool completely and remove the thyme sprigs. Allow to cool.
- Place the steak in a shallow dish or large zip-top bag. Pour the marinade over and marinate for four hours, or overnight.
- Preheat the grill or grill pan to high heat. Brush with oil.
- Remove steak from marinade and discard the marinade.
- Grill to desired doneness. (See above for temperatures.)
- Rest for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, spray a large skillet well will oil and heat to medium-high heat
- Add onion, and cook for 4 minutes, until it starts to soften.
- Add the mushrooms and season with salt and pepper. Cook for 8 to 10 minutes, until golden brown.
- Add cooking wine, and cook for 2 more minutes, or until the pan is dry.
- Remove from the pan, and tent to keep warm.
Oh yeah! That's how you do steak! Mushrooms and steak go together like peanut butter and jelly. Love this recipe.
Thanks so much Stacie!
Looks delicious - it´s an amazing idea: red wine for the steak and white wine for the mushrooms. Will definitely try!!! I love cooking with wine, completely agree that it gives a luxurious feel to dishes!
I was just contemplating grilling steak this weekend because it's on sale. My husband loved mushrooms with his steak back when he was allowed to eat mushrooms, it was his favorite.
I've always been meaning to try marinades more, but I never think far ahead enough in time. This recipe looks and sounds great with the wines and I'll have to remember to make this!
Whoa, this recipe looks amazing!!! I have heard of these cooking wines and really need to try them!
Great recipe! will definitely give it a try!
love the photos and I'm stealing your secret recipe/
Yum, this looks amazing! We make something similar but I never thought of adding cooking wine. Great trick!
Steak with Mushrooms is a classic for me. I love making it for my family. I hope I can use your recipe for next weekend. It sounds so delcious!
Ntensibe Edgar Michael
Yyyeessssss! With mashed potatoes, you can't go wrong with your steak....however way you like it. Good job on this one, Wendy!
Steak is always a real crowd pleaser. This looks/sounds delicious.
Foodie Finds Home
I'm not a much of a meat eater, and even this looks amazing to me! My husband and I are celebrating our wedding anniversary next week and not wanting to do anything too outrageous, so I think I may make him this because he is a meat eater and I believe he will love it.
If this dish tastes as good as it looks its sure to be amazing. Thank you for sharing. Adding to my summer cooking list now.
Yum! Adding this one to the to-cook list for next week. Love steak and mushrooms.
Such a classic recipe. Love the flavors and taste!
This looks delicious! I love mushrooms. I am adding this recipe to my summer rotation menu list. Thank you!
Always looking for new ways to season our meat. This was delicious! Will definitely be making again.
What a delicious pairing. Great steak and mushrooms recipe!
Looks delicious. I'm going to try it for sure.
Thank you so much for sharing this outstanding steak with mushrooms recipe! Tasted really amazing and super easy to make! Highly recommeded!
This is such a great recipe! I am not a big steak eater, but this turned out so well, I couldn't stop talking about how good it was!