Steak with Mushrooms will never go out of style! The addition of wine gives this dish a luxurious feel, making it perfect for entertaining. (But don't worry, this recipe is easy enough to maintain a casual summer vibe.) It works well with a side of cauliflower rice, but feel free to use whatever side dish you like. A simple green salad with some peppery arugula would also be nice here. Leftovers - if you have any - are fabulous in a wrap or bowl with blue cheese and sauteed onions.
Your Summer Just Got Tastier with this Grilled Steak with Mushrooms!
When I want to serve a meal that will impress without a lot of fuss, grilled steak is always my go-to meal.
If you think about it - steak is the ultimate fast food. It cooks in a flash, isn't especially fussy, and is universally loved.
Of course, when you are cooking for a crowd, the cost of steak can be a concern.
And that is where a crazy-good steak marinade comes in.
How to Make Grilled Steak with Mushrooms and Onions:
Step 1: Make the marinade.
Combine red wine, fresh thyme, garlic, crushed red pepper, salt and pepper in a small saucepan over high heat.
Step 2: Simmer
Bring the mixture to a simmer (the point just before a boil), and then reduce the heat to medium. Cook until the wine has reduced by more than half.
Step 3: Cool
Allow the mixture to cool completely. Remove the fresh thyme.
Step 4: Marinate
Put the steak in a shallow dish or large zip-top bag. Marinate for four hours, or overnight.
Step 5: Cook Steak
Heat a grill or grill pan to high. Brush with oil. Remove the steak from the marinade and cook to desired doneness. Allow to rest for 10 minutes.
Step 6: Cook Onion
Heat a large skillet to medium-high heat and spray VERY WELL with oil. (You can also drizzle oil in the pan.). Cook the onions for 4 minutes, until they start to soften.
Step 7: Add Mushrooms
Add the mushrooms to the pan and season to taste with salt and pepper. Cook for about 8 minutes.
Step 8: Add White Wine
Add the cooking wine, and cook for 2 more minutes. Remove from heat.
Step 9: Make the Cauliflower Rice
Add oil to the empty skillet and add cauliflower rice, garlic, salt, and pepper. Cook until tender, about 7 minutes.
Tips & Tricks for Making Grilled Steak with Mushrooms
- If you have the time, salt the steaks for up to two days before marinating on a wire rack set on a baking sheet. The salt will work its way into the meat, seasoning and breaking down muscle proteins. Not only will the steak be more, but it will also be juicier.
- Pull the steak out of the refrigerator at least 30 minutes before cooking.
- Don't skip resting the steak before cutting! If you cut the steak while it is still too warm, it will lose a lot of juice.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the appropriate internal temperature for steak?
The appropriate temperature is a matter of personal choice.
120 degrees F - Rare
130 degrees F - Medium-Rare
140 degrees F - Medium
150 degrees F - Medium-Well
160 degrees F - Well Done
What sides go well with steak?
- Cauliflower Rice
- Mashed Cauliflower
- Mashed Potatoes
- Roasted Broccoli
- Air Fried Asparagus
- Baked Potatoes
- Turmeric Rice
Grilled Steak with Mushrooms and Onions
We grill a lot of steak at our house since it is a family favorite. I love being able to marinate the steak ahead of time, as well as prepare the mushrooms and cauliflower rice. This leaves the only thing left to do to cook the steak. Perfect for a weekend evening with family and friends.
Steak with Mushrooms
- 2 cups red wine
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- Salt and pepper to taste (I used ½ teaspoon each)
- 16 ounces steak
- ½ large onion diced (or 1 medium)
- 8 ounces mushrooms sliced
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- ¼ cup white wine
- 1 tablespoon olive oil or butter
- 8 ounces riced cauliflower
- Place the red cooking wine, thyme, garlic, crushed red pepper, salt and pepper in a small saucepan over high heat.
- Bring to a simmer and then reduce the heat to medium.
- Cook for 10 minutes, or until the mixture has reduced by more than half.
- Cool completely and remove the thyme sprigs. Allow to cool.
- Place the steak in a shallow dish or large zip-top bag. Pour the marinade over and marinate for four hours, or overnight.
- Preheat the grill or grill pan to high heat. Brush with oil.
- Remove steak from marinade and discard the marinade.
- Grill to desired doneness. (See above for temperatures.)
- Rest for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, spray a large skillet well will oil and heat to medium high heat
- Add onion, and cook for 4 minutes, until it starts to soften.
- Add the mushrooms and season with salt and pepper. Cook for 8 to 10 minutes, until golden brown.
- Add cooking wine, and cook for 2 more minutes, or until the pan is dry.
- Remove from pan, and tent to keep warm.
- Wipe the skillet if necessary and add oil. Heat to medium heat.
- Add the cauliflower, garlic, salt, and pepper. Cook for 7 to 10 minutes, until tender.