Steak and Mushrooms will never go out of style! The addition of wine gives this dish a luxurious feel, making it perfect for entertaining. (But don't worry, this recipe is easy enough to maintain a casual summer vibe.) It works well with a side of cauliflower rice or a simple green salad with some peppery arugula. Leftovers - if you have any - are fabulous in a wrap or bowl with blue cheese and sauteed onions.
Your Summer Just Got Tastier with this Grilled Steak with Mushrooms!
When I want to serve a meal that will impress without a lot of fuss, cooking steak with mushrooms is always my go-to meal.
If you think about it - steak is the ultimate fast food. It cooks in a flash, isn't incredibly fussy, and is universally loved.
This is the best steak and mushroom recipe - it deserves to become a habit!
Ingredients for Making Steak with Mushrooms
- Red Wine: When making red wine marinated steak, use a wine that you would drink. (But no need to go for the expensive stuff.)
- Thyme: If you can't find thyme, rosemary is a good option.
- Garlic: Freshly minced garlic is best here.
- Red Pepper Flakes: For a touch more heat, you can use ¼ to ½ teaspoon of cayenne pepper.
- Salt and Pepper: I recommend a teaspoon of salt and ½ teaspoon of black pepper.
- Steak: Use your favorite cut!
- Onion: White or yellow onion work best.
- Mushrooms: You can use any type of mushroom you like. (I like baby Bellas when I can find them.) For entertaining, I will often buy a gourmet blend. Buying sliced mushrooms is a great way to save time.
- White Wine: This adds a nice pop of flavor to the mushrooms, but feel free to omit. Beef broth would be a good alternative.
Tips & Tricks for Making Grilled Steak with Mushrooms
- If you have the time, salt the steaks for up to two days before marinating them on a wire rack set on a baking sheet. The salt will work its way into the meat, seasoning and breaking down muscle proteins. Not only will the steak be more, but it will also be juicier.
- Pull the steak out of the refrigerator at least 30 minutes before cooking.
- Don't skip resting the steak before cutting! If you cut the steak while it is still too warm, it will lose a lot of juice.
- If you prefer a mushroom sauce, add 1 cup of good quality beef broth to the mushrooms and thicken it with ¼ - ½ teaspoons of xanthan gum.
- For even more flavor, top your steak with compound butter.
Frequently Asked Questions
The appropriate temperature is a matter of personal choice.
120 degrees F - Rare
130 degrees F - Medium-Rare
140 degrees F - Medium
150 degrees F - Medium-Well
160 degrees F - Well Done
This is entirely a matter of personal preference. My husband likes ribeye steaks, while I prefer a strip or filet. Since you are marinating, a more economical cut like a flank steak or skirt steak would also work.
Tools Needed to Make Steak and Mushroom Recipe
As an amazon associate, I earn from qualified sales.
- Grill or Grill Pan
- Shallow dish for marinating
Store leftovers sealed in the refrigerator for up to four days.
How to Make Grilled Steak with Mushrooms and Onions
Step 1: Make the marinade.
Combine red wine, fresh thyme, garlic, crushed red pepper, salt, and pepper in a small saucepan over high heat.
Step 2: Simmer
Bring the mixture to a simmer (the point just before a boil), and then reduce the heat to medium. Cook until the wine has reduced by more than half.
Step 3: Cool
Allow the mixture to cool completely. Remove the fresh thyme.
Step 4: Marinate
Put the steak in a shallow dish or large zip-top bag. Marinate for four hours or overnight.
Step 5: Cook Steak
Heat a grill or grill pan to high. Brush with oil. Remove the steak from the marinade and cook to desired doneness. Allow to rest for 10 minutes.
Step 6: Cook Onion
Heat a large skillet to medium-high heat and spray VERY WELL with oil. (You can also drizzle oil in the pan.). Cook the onions for 4 minutes until they start to soften.
Step 7: Add Mushrooms
Add the mushrooms to the pan and season to taste with salt and pepper. Cook for about 8 minutes.
Step 8: Add White Wine
Add the wine, and cook for 2 more minutes. Remove from heat.
You May Also Like
- Looking to add something green to your plate? This Ninja Foodi Grill Asparagus is perfect! Finish the meal off with Maple Cheesecake for a luxurious meal that is sure to please.
- This Mediterranean Chicken Breast is another delicious recipe that is perfect for entertaining.
- Mexican Steak Salad makes the perfect summer dinner! Leftovers are a filling lunch.
- Gluten-Free Steak Gyros are a family favorite that I turn to again and again.
Steak and Mushrooms
- 2 cups red wine
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 16 ounces steak
- ½ large onion diced or 1 medium
- 8 ounces mushrooms sliced
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- ¼ cup white wine
- Place the red cooking wine, thyme, garlic, crushed red pepper, salt, and pepper in a small saucepan over high heat.
- Bring to a simmer and then reduce the heat to medium.
- Cook for 10 minutes, or until the mixture has reduced by more than half.
- Cool completely and remove the thyme sprigs. Allow to cool.
- Place the steak in a shallow dish or large zip-top bag. Pour the marinade over and marinate for four hours, or overnight.
- Preheat the grill or grill pan to high heat. Brush with oil.
- Remove steak from marinade and discard the marinade.
- Grill to desired doneness. (See above for temperatures.)
- Rest for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, spray a large skillet well will oil and heat to medium-high heat
- Add onion, and cook for 4 minutes, until it starts to soften.
- Add the mushrooms and season with salt and pepper. Cook for 8 to 10 minutes, until golden brown.
- Add cooking wine, and cook for 2 more minutes, or until the pan is dry.
- Remove from the pan, and tent to keep warm.