Think you don’t like Brussels Sprouts? Think again! These Caramelized Brussels Sprouts will become a favorite vegetable side dish! Gluten Free and Vegetarian with a Vegan Option.
I’ve joked a lot about how sheltered my childhood was in a culinary sense. (Ok, it was sheltered in every sense, but that is a whole other post.)
Don’t get me wrong; my mom is a fabulous cook. As far as Southern cooks go, it doesn’t get any better.
She just was never an adventurous cook.
I still can believe all thing things that I never had until I was grown!
Homemade Mac n Cheese.
Spaghetti Sauce that didn’t come from a jar.
And Brussels Sprouts.
Some might consider me lucky to never have had Brussels Sprouts, but I kinda regret not discovering them until my 40’s. I miss out on a lot of fall Brussels Sprouts love.
The first time I ever had them was at a Tapas restaurant in Santa Rosa Beach, FL. Lucky for me, they were on the gluten-free menu.
They were fried and it was instant love.
Although I’ve never attempted to fry them at home, I do enjoy making them from time to time. These Caramelized Brussels Sprouts are a fabulous vegetable side dish that will get the whole family on the Brussels Sprouts bandwagon.
I’ve used butter, but you can easily make this dish vegan by using Earth Balance.
What food did you never have until you were grown?
If You Like These Caramelized Brussels Sprouts You May Also Like:
- Crispy Quinoa Roasted Broccoli
- Quinoa Crusted Eggplant Parmesan Bites
- Roasted Cauliflower & Quinoa with Lemon Tahini Sauce
- Cranberry & Quinoa Stuffed Acorn Squash
Caramelized Brussels Sprouts
Think you don't like Brussels Sprouts? Think again! These Caramelized Brussels Sprouts will become a favorite vegetable side dish!
In a small bowl combine lemon juice, maple syrup, tamari and thyme.
- Heat oil to medium high in a large skillet. Add Brussels sprouts and onion to the pan and cook until they begin to brown, about four minutes.
- Add butter to the pan and cook for four more minutes.
- Add garlic and cook for one more minuted. Add the lemon juice mixture and cook for 2 - 4 additional minutes.