These Southwestern Quinoa and Chicken Burritos are a delicious meal that you will make time and again! Gluten Free with a Vegan option.
I suppose all bloggers have their sentimental favorites, and these Southwestern Quinoa and Chicken Burritos are one of mine.
I originally published them early 2012, and at the time they completely rocked my world.
By that point, I’d been working on books and hubby was completely over quinoa.
(Don’t judge – you would be too if your wife made it every day. Sometimes more than once.)
This recipe was one that even he asked me to make it again.
I don’t often tell you to try something…but you need to try this one. It is one of my favorite quinoa recipes of all time.
It still reminds me of something that I’d eat in a restaurant and later find out that it had over 1,000 calories. I can remember getting nervous when I originally calculated the nutritional information!
It was THAT GOOD.
Over the years, I’ve made this countless times, and I always have fun changing things up based on what I have on hand.
It is great with a little diced avocado. I’ve also used roasted red peppers in place of the bell peppers.
If you don’t have nutritional yeast, just leave it off! When I created the recipe, I was vegan, and nutritional yeast is a great way to help vegan foods taste “cheesy” since Daiya alone doesn’t quite do it.
Give these Southwestern Quinoa and Chicken Burritos a try and let me know what you think!
Crispy Southwestern Quinoa and Chicken Burritos
- 1 cup cooked chopped chicken or meatless chicken substitute
- 1 cup cooked quinoa
- 1 cup cooked/canned black beans
- 1 cup organic frozen corn thawed
- 1 cup pepper jack or cheddar cheese or Daiya
- ½ cup chopped red or green bell pepper or mixture
- 4 green onions chopped
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- ½ tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Chipotle Chili Powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast optional
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 6 tablespoons dairy or non-dairy sour cream optional
- 6 gluten-free tortillas
- In a large bowl combine “chicken”, quinoa, black beans, corn, cheese, red pepper, and green onion. In a small bowl combine dry spices.
- Toss with quinoa mixture.
- Add lime juice and toss well.
- Spread one tablespoon of sour cream on each tortilla.
- Top with 1/6 of the mixture.
- Fold opposing ends in and roll. Secure with toothpicks.
- To cook, you can use a <g class="gr_ gr_55 gr-alert gr_spell gr_run_anim ContextualSpelling multiReplace" id="55" data-gr-id="55">non stick</g> griddle (like a Griddler)and cook over medium heat until golden brown.
- Alternatively, heat two tablespoons of olive oil over <g class="gr_ gr_53 gr-alert gr_spell gr_run_anim ContextualSpelling ins-del multiReplace" id="53" data-gr-id="53">medium low</g> heat.
- Cook until golden brown.
- Enjoy the sinful goodness!