Cashew lime crema is perfect for topping tacos, enchiladas, burritos, or as a dip for chips and veggies. It is also great as a salad dressing. However you use this creamy sauce, the flavor thrill will wow you!
Vegan or not, you have to try this crazy-good vegan sour cream.
It is that good!
Made with cashews, lime juice, and zest, garlic, nutritional yeast, vinegar, salt, and water, this dip is as nutritious as it is delicious.
This cashew sour cream takes less than 10 minutes of hands-on time and is perfect for meal prep.
This sauce is perfect for those avoiding gluten and dairy, whether through dietary restrictions or preference.
This easy-to-make recipe may be healthier, but there is no sacrifice involved with this vegan sour cream. It is so full of flavor that you won't believe it!
Give this cashew sour cream a try, and you will find yourself craving it again and again.
- Cashews: Use whole raw cashews. Roasted cashews will not give the same results.
- Water: I recommend using filtered water.
- Garlic: I prefer fresh garlic, but if you don’t have it ¾ teaspoon of garlic powder could be used in its place. Onion powder could also be used.
- Limes: Use the juice and zest of two limes. Lime juice goes best if you are serving something like tacos, but lemon juice may also be used.
- Nutritional Yeast: This is optional, but it improves the depth of flavor and adds a cheesy tang I love.
- Vinegar: A teaspoon of apple cider vinegar gives just the right pop of acid.
- Salt: Season with salt to taste.
This cashew sauce is perfect anywhere with Southwestern flavors that you would use regular sour cream.
Tips and Tricks
- Soak cashews overnight or for at least four hours before blending. This will help them blend into a creamier consistency.
- Add fresh lime juice to taste. This will brighten up the flavors and add a tartness that compliments the cashews perfectly.
- I highly recommend using a powerful blender for the best consistency in your cream sauce. A blender like a Vitamix or Blendtec is perfect.
As an amazon associate, I earn from qualifying sales.
- High Speed Blender (or good quality food processor)
- Bowl and strainer
Frequently Asked Questions
While cashews are naturally creamy, soaking them in water helps to soften the nuts and make them even easier to blend into a smooth consistency. Soaking also allows the cashews to absorb moisture from the water, which helps to thin out the crema and make it more pourable.
In addition, soaking helps to remove some of the cashews' natural oils, which can make the final product less greasy.
I don’t recommend it, but if you have a powerful high-speed blender, you can skip this step. The result won’t be quite as smooth, but the sauce will still be tasty.
How to Make Cashew Cream Sauce
First, start by soaking your cashews in filtered water. I recommend soaking them overnight, but at a minimum, you should soak them for four hours.
Rinse the cashews well after you soak them
Next, place the cashews in a high-powered blender.
Add the water, garlic, lime juice, lime zest, nutritional yeast, apple cider vinegar, and salt.
Process until smooth, about 3 to 5 minutes. Taste and adjust the seasonings as needed.
Serve immediately, or refrigerate for an hour or two to let the flavors combine.
Leftovers can be stored in the refrigerator for up to six days. I do not recommend freezing this recipe, as the texture suffers too much.
Garlic Lime Cashew Sour Cream
- 1 cup whole raw cashews soaked overnight in water
- ½ cup water
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 2 limes zest and juice
- 1 teaspoon nutritional yeast optional
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- Place all ingredients in a high speed blender. Process until smooth.