Learn how to make a DIY Gel Air Freshener and keep your home smelling great without harmful toxins. Perfect for gifts!
There is nothing like walking into a great smelling home!
We all want our homes to smell fantastic, but sometimes that can take a little work.
When I was younger, I reached for commercial air fresheners and candles to keep my home smelling fresh. In recent years I’ve learned that this wasn’t a good idea because most of them are loaded with toxins that I don’t want my family exposed to.
Why Your Air Freshener May Be Toxic
- There are some 3,000 plus chemicals used in the manufacturing of commercial air fresheners, including volatile organic compounds. VOCs are known irritants linked to cancer, liver and kidney dysfunction, neurological impairment, asthma and other respiratory disease.
- 95% of the chemicals in synthetic fragrances (listed as “fragrance” on the label) are derived from petrochemicals.
- Many air fresheners contain formaldehyde and benzene which are known carcinogens. They often also contain phthalates, which are chemicals known to cause hormonal abnormalities, birth defects, and reproductive problems.
- Even those market “natural” can contain harmful chemicals since there is no regulation governing the use of the term. Many of these can contain chemicals that are known to cause allergic reactions, asthma attacks, and other sensitivities.
Hopefully, you are convinced to ditch commercial air fresheners!
I love using a diffuser in my home, but these DIY Gel Air Fresheners are great for bathrooms, entryways, closets and other spaces that you might not have a diffuser. I’ve used holiday oils since it is December, but you can use any oil you want!
The Quality of The Essential Oils You Use Matters!
After looking closely at the quality, purity, and ethics of so many companies, I’ve fallen in love with both the company and their oils. They have a large line of organic oils and are serious about safety. Every single batch is tested to ensure purity!
Read my full Plant Therapy Review for why they are my go-to company.
How to Make a DIY Gel Air Freshener
What You Need:
- Small Glass Jars (I used 7 ounce jars)
- 3 cups water, divided
- 1/4 cup unflavored gelatin
- 2 tablespoons salt
- Essential Oils
- Food Coloring, optional (preferably a natural brand)
- Place 1 cup of water in a small bowl. Add gelatin and let soften.
- Meanwhile, bring 2 cups of water to a simmer. Stir in salt and allow to dissolve.
- Reduce heat to low and stir in gelatin mixture. Remove from heat and whisk until combined.
- Place 60 drops of essential oils to each jar. Add 6 drops of gel food coloring.
- Stir into each jar to evenly disperse oils and food coloring.
- Lightly cover, and transfer to the refrigerator until solid. (You may also let them sit at room temperature to get solid, but I found they were much more firm when I used the refrigerator.)