Think you have to give up Chicken Parmesan when you go gluten-free? Think again! This Easy Gluten Free Chicken Parmesan Recipe is one that is loved by kids and adults alike. It is a perfect weekend meal that the whole family will crave. Perfect for entertaining!
There is something about Fall that always makes me start thinking about family traditions.
Growing up, my Mother’s family was the only extended family I knew. My grandparents lived in a tiny town in Georgia. My Great-Grandmother also lived there, as did my Grandmother’s brother. (I was lucky to get to know my Great-Grandmother so well – she lived until she was 102 and was healthy enough to drive well into her 90’s.)
When we visited my grandparents, there was always a lot of family around. I can remember running back and forth with my cousins between houses, playing outside much of the day.
Of course, there was always food. Lots of food. Meals together were always a special time.
My grandmother was the quintessential southern cook. A can of frying oil never far from her stove. Fried Chicken was a tradition.
I can still taste my Grandmother’s fried chicken.
She taught me a love of cooking that will never go away. It’s a love I am now passing down to my boys. When she is old enough, I hope to do the same with Skye.
My Grandmother taught me that food is an excellent love language.
Cooking was her way of taking care of everyone and showing love.
Today we have new family traditions.
I’m much more likely to make Gluten Free Chicken Parmesan than Fried Chicken, thought the love behind it is the same. It is a fairly simple dish to put together, made quicker by Ragu Pasta Sauce.
My boys will grow up thinking of Chicken Parmesan in much the same way I did Fried Chicken. It is our go-to meal for special occasions, but one we also have on a regular basis.
How to Make Gluten Free Chicken Parmesan
Rinse the chicken and pound it thin with a meat mallet. Don’t have a meat mallet? No worries. Chances are you have something in your kitchen that works. I used the side of my garlic mincer for years.
Prepare your ingredients to coat the chicken. In one bowl, combine the flour, Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper. In another whisk together the eggs and milk. In a third, combine the breadcrumbs and Parmesan.
Dredge the chicken in the flour mixture.Then dip it in the egg wash.
Finally, coat the chicken in the breadcrumbs.
You will want to use your hand to gently press the breadcrumbs into the chicken.
Now that the chicken is ready to cook, preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Cook the chicken for about 4 minutes per side, until it is golden brown.
Transfer to a baking sheet, and top with marinara sauce and mozzarella. Cook for about 10 minutes, until no longer pink.
If desired, serve with cooked pasta.
Tools for Making this Gluten Free Chicken Parmesan Recipe
Gluten Free Chicken Parmesan
Gluten Free Chicken Parmesan
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken
- 3/4 cup gluten free flour
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 2 eggs beaten
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese shredded
- 1 1/2 cups gluten-free breadcrumbs see note
- 2 tablespoons Avocado oil
- 1/2 cup marinara sauce
- 8 ounces fresh mozzarella
- 8 ounces gluten free pasta
- fresh basil for garnish
- Place chicken between two pieces of plastic wrap and pound with a meat mallet until thin.
- In a shallow dish combine flour, sea salt, Italian seasoning and black pepper. In another dish whisk together eggs and milk. In a third shallow dish, combine breadcrumbs and Parmesan.
- Dredge chicken in flour and then dip in the egg mixture. Coat with breadcrumbs and then transfer to a plate.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Cook chicken until golden brown, about 4 minutes per side. Transfer to a baking sheet and top with marinara sauce and mozzarella. Cook for 10 minutes, until chicken is no longer pink.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta according to package directions. Toss with olive oil if desired.
- Serve chicken over pasta.
- Garnish with basil and serve warm.
Tips & Tricks for Making Gluten Free Chicken Parmesan
- To make gluten free breadcrumbs, tear gluten free bread into small pieces. (I like Udi's.) Place in a food processor and process until fine. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place crumbs in a single layer on a spreadsheet. Cook for 5 minutes. Turn oven off and allow to sit in the oven for another 30 minutes. You may toss with two tablespoons of olive oil prior to cooking if desired.