These Gluten Free Cranberry Orange Scones will blow you away! They are a perfect on the go breakfast or morning snack. Vegan Option.
I've mentioned about 1,000 times that my kids are picky eaters.
I blame myself, and not just my parenting. You see - I am a VERY picky eater too.
I'm sure this has influenced my tolerance for their pickiness.
When all three of them love something, I get excited.
Today's Gluten Free Cranberry Orange Quinoa Scones excite me immensely.
The first time I made them we were in Colorado and I was pregnant with Skye.
Since then, the boys often request them for special occasions.
Obviously they don't classify as a quick, healthy breakfast. But they are the perfect gluten free scone for a holiday brunch.
Cranberry Orange Quinoa Scones
- 1 cup almond milk chilled or milk of choice
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 cup extra fine brown rice flour
- ¾ cup sorghum flour
- ½ cup toasted quinoa flour
- ½ cup potato starch
- ¼ cup tapioca starch
- 1.5 teaspoons xanthan gum
- ⅓ cup coconut palm sugar or sugar of choice
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 ¼ teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon grated orange peel
- ¾ cup Earth Balance chilled
- ¾ cup dried cranberries
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a small bowl, combine almond milk and lemon juice. Set aside to curdle.
- In a large bowl sift together brown or white rice flour, sorghum flour, quinoa flour, potato starch, tapioca starch, xanthan gum, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Stir in orange peel. Using fingers or a pastry cutter, mix in butter until you have a coarse meal. Stir in cranberries. Mix in milk mixture, ¼ cup at a time, mixing with a fork as you go.
- Place mixture on a sheet of parchment paper and knead briefly. Form into a round, about an inch thick. Cut into 8 pieces.
- Transfer pieces to parchment lined baking sheet. Bake for about 25 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to sit on the baking sheet for another 10 minutes. Serve warm.