Are you looking for a delicious, nutritious breakfast or snack? Look no further than this mouthwatering Quinoa Banana Bread! With quinoa and sweet banana goodness, this bread is sure to satisfy your cravings. Not only is it easy to make, but it's packed with protein-rich quinoa and nourishing ingredients like eggs and yogurt. You can enjoy it warm with a pat of butter or cold with some honey drizzled on top.
Give yourself a tasty and nutritious boost with this easy-to-make Quinoa Banana Bread. This delicious recipe is full of protein-packed quinoa, sweet bananas and simple ingredients that you may already have in your pantry!
It's an ideal breakfast or snack for any time of day, and with just one slice you'll be instantly satisfied.
Switch up the flavor by adding chocolate chips, or keep it classic - either way, you'll love this hearty and flavorful gluten-free loaf!
- Butter: I recommend using unsalted butter for baking. Make sure that you bring it to room temperature. You could use vegan butter or olive oil if you prefer.
- Applesauce: Unsweetened applesauce helps to keep the bread moist and adds natural sweetness.
- Sugar: You can use coconut sugar or regular sugar.
- Maple Syrup: Adds sweetness and flavor to the bread.
- Eggs: Beaten eggs help to bind the bread together and add richness. Flax eggs could be used to make this recipe vegan, but the texture will suffer a bit.
- Vanilla Extract: Just a teaspoon of vanilla adds a nice depth of flavor.
- Flour Blend: Use gluten-free flour blend for a completely gluten-free banana bread. Make sure the blend that you choose contains xanthan gum, which helps to bind the bread. If you aren't gluten-free, all-purpose flour works well.
- Quinoa Flour: I like to toast quinoa flour before using it. Read this post for full instructions. Quinoa flakes or uncooked quinoa can be ground into a powder to make quinoa flour.
- Baking Soda: Make sure your baking soda is fresh or the results will be disappointing.
- Salt: Don't skip this. It helps to balance the flavors.
- Yogurt: I like to use Greek yogurt for this recipe. You can also use sour cream. Dairy free alternatives may be used in this quinoa flour banana bread.
- Walnuts: Chopped walnuts add a nice crunch and flavor, but they are optional.
- Bananas: Use ripe bananas for maximum sweetness and flavor.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is quinoa flour good for baking?
Quinoa flour is an excellent option to include in gluten-free baking. Toasted quinoa flour will add a rich nutty flavor to baked goods.
However, it is important to note that you cannot simply substitute it for all-purpose flour. I recommend using no more than 50% quinoa flour when baking.
Read more about baking with quinoa in this post.
How do you take the bitterness out of quinoa flour?
Toasting quinoa flour is a very easy way to remove the bitterness. You can read more about how to do it here.
Is quinoa flour healthy?
Yes! Quinoa flour is simply ground-up quinoa and can be considered a wholesome baking option.
Can you taste the quinoa in this bread?
The quinoa adds a nutty flavor to this bread. You may be able to taste it if you pay close attention! It also adds texture and nutrition.
Tips & Tricks
- Make sure that you bring the butter, eggs, and Greek yogurt to room temperature before baking.
- I used Bob's Red Mill 1 to 1 flour for testing.
- Consider toasting the quinoa flour. It requires a bit of advanced planning but your efforts will be richly rewarded.
Variations for This Recipe
- Add in ½ cup chocolate chips.
- Use pecans in place of walnuts.
- Add ½ teaspoon cinnamon.
- Add ½ cup shredded coconut.
As an amazon associate, I earn from qualifying sales.
- Loaf Pan
- Mixing Bowls
- Wire Cooling Rack
Step by Step
First, start this banana bread recipe by preheating the oven to 350°F (175°C).
Spray a 9x5 inch loaf pan with cooking spray and set aside.
Next, in a large bowl, beat the butter, applesauce, sugar, and maple syrup and mix until combined. Add in the eggs one at a time and then stir in the vanilla extract.
In a separate bowl, whisk the flour blend, quinoa flour, baking soda, and salt. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix until just combined.
Next fold in the yogurt, walnuts and mashed bananas until everything is evenly distributed.
Pour the batter into your prepared loaf pan and place in the center of your preheated oven. Bake for 60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the bread comes out clean.
Allow to cool in the pan before removing it onto a cooling rack.
More Quinoa Bread Recipes to Try
- Gluten Free Quinoa Bread
- Quinoa English Muffins
- Gluten Free Goat Cheese, Caramelized Onion and Spinach Rolls with Quinoa Crust
- Hearty Quinoa Bread
Quinoa Banana Bread
- ¼ cup butter softened
- ¼ cup unsweetened applesauce
- ⅓ cup sugar coconut palm sugar or regular
- ⅓ cup maple syrup
- 2 eggs beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup gluten free flour blend
- ½ cup quinoa flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup Greek Yogurt or Sour Cream
- ½ cup walnuts chopped (optional)
- 2 medium bananas mashed
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a loaf pan with cooking spray.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine butter, applesauce, sugar and maple syrup.
- Blend in eggs, one at a time.
- Add vanilla and mix well.
- In a separate bowl, combine flours, baking soda and salt. Add to the wet mixture and blend completely.
- Add in Greek yogurt, walnuts and bananas and blend until smooth.
- Transfer mixture to prepared pan.
- Bake at 350 for 1 hour. You know it is done when a toothpick comes out clean.
- Allow to cool for 15 minutes and then place on a wire rack to finish cooling. (That is unless your family is already begging you to cut it.)
Other Gluten Free Quick Breads to Try:
- Gluten Free Zucchini Bread from Meaningful Eats
- Gluten Free Blueberry Bread from Sullivan Street Eats
Stacie @ Divine Lifestyle
That looks really good! I love the addition to quinoa. It's such a healthy grain. I've been eating it for about a year now, and I feel a lot better!
That sounds like an amazing recipe! I've never had quinoa in bread before, but I do love it in my oatmeal and salads. I'll have to give this a try!
I am glad that he ended up liking it, walnuts and all. It does sound really delicious. A perfect companion to a hot cuppa tea on a chilly fall day.
This bread looks so yummy and it would make a great breakfast. I love that it is gluten free.
It's the season for all kinds of baked goods.. This sounds delicious and I love that it's gluten free.
Oh wow. A gluten free banana bread recipe! I love it. Although me and my family is not on any dietary restriction, it would still be nice to try out new recipes. This would also come in handy if we would be having guests with sensitivity to gluten.
Banana bread is a family favorite and a great way to ensure none of our older fruit goes to waste. I have never baked with quinoa flour, but am anxious to give it a try. Thanks for sharing!
I'm all about gluten free in our house. This bread looks so yummy!
It is great that you have such a nice taste tester. My husband is my taste tester, and he is not so kind. I have to give this recipe a try. We love banana bread, and I love to try new versions.
I love banana bread and a super plus that it's gluten free. I like to have gluten free when I have company so I don't have to worry what everyone can eat!
Finally a tasty GF dessert! I would love to try this sometime.
Funny story, the first time I ever ate gluten free banana bread, I was scared to ever eat it again. It was terrible! Tried it again a couple years later and loved it. This banana bread looks WAY better than any I've seen.
I am a huge lover of bread in general. Especially when it's delicious bread like this banana bread!
That sounds like a lovely recipe for the kids, especially since it's healthier than most of the banana bread recipes that I know. I would love to give this a try one of these days.
This sounds so so great! Especially now that it's fall we're baking a lot!