These Gluten Free Caramelized Onion, Spinach & Goat Cheese Rolls with Quinoa Crust are a delicious appetizer or side dish.
I've always felt that appetizers were the best part of any meal.
One of my husband's and my favorite things to do is head to our favorite Tapas restaurant where we share three or four small plates and wine.
I'd much prefer this to a heavy meal.
I love any cheesy-bready (totally a word guys) appetizer, and today's Spinach, Onion and Goat Cheese rolls are no exception.
In addition to being a great gluten free appetizer, these rolls would also be a special addition to any meal. Perfect for your holiday table or any elegant evening!
I make them with my quinoa pizza crust, which is so easy to make and stores beautifully in the freezer. I keep it on hand all the time, so I am never far from creating a pizza, appetizer or even dessert.
Other recipes with my Quinoa Pizza Crust:
Gluten Free Cinnamon Bites
Avocado Pepperjack & Poblano Pizza
Quinoa Pizza Rolls
Gluten Free Caramelized Onion, Spinach & Goat Cheese Rolls with Quinoa Crust
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil divided
- 2 large red onions sliced thin
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 5 ounces baby spinach chopped
- 1 pound quinoa pizza dough
- 4 ounces goat cheese crumbled
- Preheat oven to 425. Spray a 12-cup muffin tin with cooking spray.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of avocado oil in a skillet and heat to medium high. Add onion and cook for 8 minutes, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat to medium and add thyme, salt and pepper. Cook for an additional 10 to 15 minutes and add garlic and vinegar. Cook for 30 seconds and remove from heat. Add another teaspoon of the oil to the skillet and cook spinach until wilted. Transfer to a strainer and press out excess moisture.
- Roll out dough on parchment paper sprinkled with extra flour into a 9 x 13 inch rectangle. Brush with the remaining 2 teaspoons of oil. Spread the onions and spinach over the dough and then sprinkle the cheese. Carefully roll into a log, starting with the long side. (Lift the parchment paper as needed to help you roll.) Cut into 12 slices and place in prepared tins.
- Cook until golden brown, about 20 minutes. Let cool for 5 minutes and serve warm.
These would be impressive to serve at Christmas!
Has anyone frozen and reheated these?
This recipe looks great, but is quinoa pizza dough something you make or buy? I don’t recall ever seeing it in any of our grocery stores around here.
It is something you make! Any pizza dough will work here though.