This Harvest Quinoa Salad is the perfect quinoa salad for fall! With oranges, apples and walnuts in a orange maple cider dressing!
I’ve often talked about how cooking was my Grandmother’s love language, and how it is mine too.
I think most Mom’s that enjoy cooking have a special place in their hearts for cooking for their family.
This time of year, I especially enjoy planning and preparing for special holiday meals with family. It doesn’t have to be complicated, but it does have to be delicious! I love creating recipes that I can make ahead of time that are packed with flavor.
Today’s Harvest Quinoa Salad is the perfect side dish for your holiday table! It can be prepared in the time it takes the quinoa to cook and cool and is easily made ahead of time. If there are any leftovers, it is the perfect lunch! (You could even stir diced turkey into the leftovers if the mood strikes you.)
I adore cooking quinoa in broth, because it is the perfect way to amp up the flavor profile without a lot of extra work.
Harvest Quinoa Salad
- 1 1/2 cups uncooked quinoa preferably red
- 2 cups Chicken Broth
- 2 oranges peeled, sectioned and cut into piece
- 2 stalks celery sliced
- 1 red apple cored and chopped
- 2 oz watercress or baby arugula, chopped
- 1/3 cup crumbled blue cheese
- 1/2 cups chopped walnut toasted
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup fresh squeezed orange juice
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper fresh ground
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Heat a medium saucepan to medium high heat. Add quinoa and toast for 3 to 5 minutes. Add broth and bring to a simmer. Cover and cook over low heat for 30 to 35 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to sit covered for 5 to 10 more minutes. Spread on a baking sheet and allow to cool.
- Meanwhile, combine oranges, celery, apple and watercress or arugula in a large bowl.
- Make dressing by combining vinegar, orange juice, maple syrup, mustard, red onion, salt and pepper in a blender. Process until combined and then add olive oil in a steady stream.
- When quinoa is cooled, toss with orange mixture and desired amount of dressing. Top with blue cheese and walnuts and drizzle with additional dressing as desired.