This Healthy Butternut Squash Soup is rich and creamy! With quinoa and broth to thicken it rather than cream, you have got a butternut squash soup healthy enough for any diet. It’s gluten free, vegetarian and has a vegan option.
We are finally getting a little reprieve with the weather here, and I couldn’t be happier about it. Although I doubt I’ll be trading my flip-flops for boots anytime soon, it is nice to be able to sit outside and not feel like I am going to keel over from the humidity.
Now that it is cooler, I’m finally ready to embrace fall dishes, like today’s Healthy Butternut Squash Soup with Quinoa!
I’ve never been the biggest soup person, but guys, this one is delicious. It is so rich and creamy that you won’t believe it doesn’t have cream.
I served it with goat cheese crostini, for a hint of indulgence. This combination is amazing and perfect for when you need a little comfort food. Of course, you can skip the crostini, if that isn’t your thing.
The soup is still delicious without it! (As I found out because SOMEONE ate all the bread before the soup was done. Oh. Me, again.)
If you like this Healthy Butternut Squash Soup, you may also like:
- Tomato & Red Pepper Soup
- Broccoli Spinach Quinoa Soup
- Slow Cooker Broccoli Cheese Soup
- Quinoa & Sweet Potato Chili
- Butternut Squash Arugula Salad
- Cauliflower Potato Soup
This Healthy Butternut Squash Soup is rich and creamy! With quinoa and broth to thicken it rather than cream, you have got a butternut squash soup healthy enough for any diet. It's gluten free, vegetarian and has a vegan option! This soup is so rich that you will forget that it is at all healthy. Perfect for those cool autumn nights when you need a little comfort food.
- 2 1/2 lb butternut squash 1 large
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil
- 1 onion chopped
- 6 cloves garlic minced
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup of quinoa rinsed
- 1 tablespoon fresh sage chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 6 ounces French baguette sliced
- 2 ounces goat cheese
- 2 tablespoon chopped parsley
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Cut squash in half and discard seeds. Place cut-side down on a foil-lined cookie sheet coated with olive oil spray. Bake for 30 minutes. Cool slightly and scoop squash into a bowl. Discard peel. Mash pulp.
- Heat a pan over medium-high heat. Add oil. Add onion and sauté for 4 minutes. Add garlic and cook another 30 seconds. Add squash, vegetable broth, quinoa, sage, salt, pepper, and bay leaf. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally. If the mixture becomes too thick, add additional broth or water to thin.
- Remove from heat and discard bay leaf. Allow to cool slightly.
- Working in batches, puree mixture until smooth. Return to pan and cook an additional 3 minutes.
- Preheat broiler. Place baguette slices on a baking sheet and top with goat cheese. Broil for 2 to 3 minutes, until warm.
Make it Gluten-Free: Choose a gluten-free bread and make sure that your vegetable broth is gluten-free. Make it Vegan: Choose vegan bread and in place of goat cheese use vegan cheese. (I love Kite Hill cheeses!) Make it Cleaner: Skip the toasts and just enjoy the soup! Make it Quick: Purchase peeled and cubed squash and roast for 20 minutes. Buy pre-cut onion and minced garlic.