Looking for a creamy Roasted Red Pepper and Tomato Soup that is also gluten free and healthy? This simple recipe is perfect for easy weeknight dinners!
Roasted Red Pepper and Tomato Soup is Simply Delicious!
I have always loved the holidays, but in the last few years, I've become totally obsessed with them. In the past, I rarely gave much thought to either Thanksgiving or Christmas until mid to late November.
Now, I am dreaming of the holidays by mid-September.
Not that I don't enjoy September and October. But I start thinking menus, gifts, and outings so much earlier than I ever thought possible.
The room where I take photos for the website is covered in all things Christmas right now. (Hubby just shakes his head and tries not to look.)
Part of it is that at five, Skye is at such a delicious age. Everything is magic to her...and my girl has an enthusiasm level that is contagious.
And the other part is that my boys are old enough right now that they can really get into the planning and anticipation.
And...squeee. My oldest son is a planner like me.
He will sit with me for hours and discuss all the things we should do.
And he also has put me to shame by already having the gifts for his siblings purchased.
Since we are entering the happiest time of year, I thought we should celebrate.
But let's keep it casual, ok? There is enough fancy stuff coming.
Let's do soup, ok?
But not just any soup. An incredibly flavor-packed Red Pepper & Tomato Soup.
You can make it as indulgent as you like and use half-and-half or even heavy cream. Or you can make vegan and dairy-free with my quinoa cream. (I promise you won't miss the cream a bit!)
How Do You Make Roasted Red Pepper and Tomato Soup?
First, heat olive oil, roasted red peppers, onion, and garlic in a saucepan over medium heat.
Cook for 10 minutes.
Add your vegetable broth (or broth of choice), tomatoes, tomato paste, paprika, sweetener, salt, crushed red pepper, and fresh ground black pepper.
Cook for 25 minutes.
Remove from heat.
Using an immersion blender, blend the tomato and red pepper mixture until smooth.
Alternatively, work in batches and process in your blender. (Make sure it has cooled a bit before you attempt this.)
Return to the pot if you used your blender.
Add in half and half or warm quinoa cream.
Cook for 5 minutes.
Garnish with chopped basil and serve.
How Do You Roast Red Peppers for Soup?
You can roast your red peppers in the oven, or over a grill or gas flame.
Oven Roasting Method
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Brush a baking sheet with avocado oil.
Place the peppers on the baking sheet.
Roast for 40 minutes, flipping halfway.
Continue roasting until the skins are charred.
Remove from the oven, and place in a paper bag. (You may also place them with a bowl and cover.). Steam for 5 to 10 minutes.
Remove peel, and rinse away seeds.
Gas Stove or Grill Roasting Method:
- Turn the flame to medium.
- Place the pepper on the grate directly over the flame.
- Roast for 20 - 30 minutes, until charred, flipping every 5 minutes.
- Use the above instructions to steam the peppers.
Tools for Making Roasted Red Pepper Tomato Soup
Roasted Red Pepper and Tomato Soup
Roasted Red Pepper and Tomato Soup
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 roasted red peppers chopped
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 ½ cups vegetable broth
- 28 ounces fire roasted tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon Swerve or sugar
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper
- ½ teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- ½ cup half and half or quinoa cream (I used quinoa cream made with almond milk.)
- ¼ cup fresh basil chopped
- Place olive oil, roasted red peppers, onion, and garlic in a sauce pan over medium heat. Sauté for 10 minutes.
- Add vegetable broth, tomatoes, tomato paste, paprika, Swerve, salt, crushed red pepper and ground pepper. Bring a a boil and the reduce to a simmer. Cook for 25 minutes.
- Remove from heat.
- Use an immersion blender to blend the mixture until smooth. Alternatively, you may work in batches and use your blender.
- Add warm quinoa cream or half and half and cook for 5 minutes. Garnish with basil and serve.
Variations for Tomato Red Pepper Soup
- Stir in 1 - 2 tablespoons of balsamic vinegar or 1 tablespoons red wine vinegar towards the end of the cooking time.
- Alternatively, drizzle the soup with Balsamic Reduction.
- Chop the red peppers and onions finely, but don’t blend them for a Chunky Roasted Red Pepper and Tomato Soup.
- For an extra kick, add in 1 jalapeno seeded and diced and 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce.
- Garnish with fried capers.
Tips for Making Roasted Red Pepper and Tomato Soup
- If you have time and really appreciate the flavor of peppers, roast fresh peppers rather than using the jarred variety. This will result in a deeper flavor. To do this, char the skins carefully over a gas flame or used your broiler. Transfer to a paper bag and close it to allow the skins to steam. Remove the blistered skin and rinse to remove the seeds. Dry throughly and proceed as directed.
- Make this vegan by using my Quinoa Cream made with unsweetened almond milk.
Serving Suggestions for Roasted Red Pepper Tomato Soup
- Serve with a green salad and dinner rolls.
- Serve with toasted baguettes with warm goat cheese spread on it.
Stacie @ Divine Lifestyle
Oh, yum! That is a bowl of delicious, antioxidant-filled goodness! I can't wait to make it.
Joanna @ Everyday Made Fresh
I love soup, and the weather that goes with soups! I'm so ready for all the cool air, crisp breezes, fire pits, and soup!
This looks like a wonderful recipe with the cooler weather coming! I love a good classic turned into something different. This would be amazing with a Grilled Cheese!
Nancy at Whispered Inspirations
Oh yum! This sounds like it would really hit the spot. I love the idea of roasted red peppers. They really add a great flavour to the soup. I think this would make a great week night dinner paired with a fresh dinner roll.
What a great combination of flavors! And how pretty. This would be perfect with a side of bread, a sandwich, some rice.. makes for a great meal. I will have to make this some time.
Jennifer Van Huss
Tomato and red pepper soup is my favourite winter soup! It fills you up when you are hungry and warms the soul!! I have never thought of making it myself! I'll have to give you recipe a try!
That red pepper and tomato soup looks delicious! I am not a huge fan of plain tomato soup but with the addition of red pepper I know I am going to love this! I DO enjoy eating healthy so thank you for the inspiration to give this recipe a try!
This recipe looks absolutely delicious! I cannot wait to try this. I plan to add it to my Saturday menu, thanks for this 🙂
Cool...I have been looking for a good tomato soup recipe and this sure looks like the one to try
Looks like such a simple soup! I love red pepper, gives out just the right amount of spice. I like the dairy free option.
I've never made tomato soup from scratch before! Your recipe looks thick and delicious! Perfect for the colder days ahead.
up run for life
I am not a big soup eater. It is something that I typically save for winter time because it warms me up. I bet this tastes good though. It would pair perfectly with a grilled cheese sandwich.
You soup looks delicious and the color is perfect. I see I need to step up my kitchen appliance game. I'm behind the times.
I can totally understand your point about transferring it to blender. I'm really clumsy too so that's hard haha. This looks really tasty and flavorful.
Both the hubs and I always crave for tomato soup whenever we are feeling under the weather. It's just so satisfying. I've never tried preparing it with red pepper though. Bet it's delish!
Yum I love a good red pepper soup! I am going to have to make this!
This looks sooooo delicous! It actually came right on time, i was looking for a light and nutritious soup to make this evening, THANK YOU!
Tomato soup is my favorite! My husband always says I can create guide 'best tomato soups of town". That's pretty close to truth. I also adore it homemade, even more than out.
Thank you so much for sharing this recipe. I love a nice simple tomato soup. I’d love to be able to make soup myself one day instead of just buying from a shop. I will definitely save this as it looks lovely 🙂
Tomato soup is my favourite! And I love roasted red peppers... this looks like a match made in heaven!
This soup is sooooo creamy and amazing! The whole family loved it!
Catherine Santiago Jose
I am a big fan of soup and this tomato soup recipe looks really delicious and so perfect to have on this cold weather.
This recipe sounds delicious! I love red peppers and I love tomato soup. I can't wait to try it.
This sounds absolutely savory and so delicious! Wining recipe.
I am a huge fan of soup! This is perfect for me, like in every meal, I need one. I feel like I am digesting my food more if I have one. Thanks for sharing this another variand.
This is the best tomato soup recipe I ever had! I couldn’t get Fire Roasted tomatoes so I used San Marzano tomatoes. I started with frying bacon and sautéing the onions, roasted peppers and garlic in a bit of the bacon grease and followed all the rest of instructions. Left out half and half.
Thank you Wendy! My family loved it and it’s a keeper for sure!!
I am so glad you enjoyed it!