Skip the pasta and make this Instant Pot Spaghetti Squash instead! This healthy low carb alternative is perfect if you are gluten free, paleo, or keto. It is crazy-easy to make and perfect for a busy weeknight.
Like a lot of women, I am all about the carbs.
Give me a good loaf of bread, a bowl of creamy pasta and I am a happy, happy girl.
(Ok, I am pretty sure I am beyond the age where I could be called a girl, but let’s skip over that for now.)
I don’t think that carbs are bad for you. I mean we know that white carbs aren’t a good thing. But the right carbs (and even pasta – like quinoa pasta), can be a part of a healthy diet.
My issue is that I have no problem with portion control when it comes to vegetables or protein, but I can lose my head when there are carbs involved.
I’ve gained way too much weight in the last year. The only thing I can attribute it to is being over 45 and being peri-menopausal. (I am working-out consistently, and my eating habits haven’t changed.)
So, facing an extra 25 pounds or so on the scale, one thing I am doing is trying to moderate my carbs.
But I’m a girl – ok, woman – and I still crave pasta.
Zoodles are good, but sometimes I want a little something more.
Enter spaghetti squash.
When you sub spaghetti squash for pasta, you get fiber and beta carotene. Plus, you save about 130 calories a serving which isn’t too shabby.
I’ve known for years that spaghetti squash makes a fabulous substitute for pasta, but I have never settled on a way to cook it that I liked.
Enter my new BFF, my Instant Pot, and I’ve finally found my go-to method for cooking spaghetti squash.
Guys, it is so easy. It takes just seven minutes of cooking time, plus the time it takes to come to pressure. All-in-all, in less than 20 minutes you can have a perfectly cooked Instant Pot Spaghetti Squash.
- 1 How to Cook Instant Pot Spaghetti Squash
- 2 Tips for Making Spaghetti Squash in the Instant Pot
- 3 Instant Pot Spaghetti Squash
How to Cook Instant Pot Spaghetti Squash
- Gather your ingredients. Add the broth to the Instant Pot and top with the trivet. Cut your spaghetti squash in half and remove the seeds. Be careful and make sure you use a very sharp knife. It is easy to cut yourself here. (FYI, I encourage my boys to do all things in the kitchen, but this is one cut where I take over. It is just too easy to slip here if you are not fully focused on what you are doing.)
- Place the cut spaghetti squash in the Instant Pot on top of the trivet. Close the lid. Don’t forget to make sure the vent is turned to seal.
- Set the pressure to high, and the timer to 7 minutes.
- When the timer goes off, press the release valve to release all of the pressure. Using the Instant Release Method prevents overcooking. I recommend using an oven mitt or kitchen towel to do this.
- Open the lid, and carefully remove the spaghetti squash.
- Allow to cool for a few minutes, and transfer to a plate or a cutting board.
- Use forks to carefully shred the spaghetti squash into “noodles”.
Tips for Making Spaghetti Squash in the Instant Pot
How Long Does Spaghetti Squash Keep in the Fridge?
- You can keep cooked spaghetti squash in the fridge for between three to five days. You can also freeze cooked spaghetti squash for up to six months.
How Long Do You Put Spaghetti Squash in the Pressure Cooker?
- You should cook spaghetti squash in your Instant Pot for between 7 and 8 minutes, depending on the size of the spaghetti squash.
Tools for Making Spaghetti Squash in the Instant Pot
Instant Pot Spaghetti Squash
- Slice the spaghetti squash in half and scoop the seeds out.
- Place the trivet in the bottom of the Instant Pot.
- Add the broth to the bottom of the instant pot and then arrange the squash halves on top of it.
- Secure the lid, making sure the vent is set to seal.
- Set the timer to 7 minutes and the pressure to high.
- When the timer goes off, carefully release the pressure using the release valve. (Careful; I use a cooking mitt when doing this.)
- Test the spaghetti squash for doneness.
Shred the spaghetti squash with forks, being careful not to burn yourself!
Serving Suggestions for Spaghetti Squash in the Instant Pot
- You can serve this dish as a side with a little salt, pepper, garlic powder and butter. (For a vegan option, Miyoko's butter rocks. I use it all the time. For traditional butter, I use Kerrygold.)
- Toss with a Simple Peanut Sauce and top with cilantro, mint, and peanuts.
- Use as a base for a bowl in place of a grain.
- Use as a base for most any recipe that calls for pasta.
- Saute' ground beef in a skillet and stir in Marinara. Serve over spaghetti squash for a quick and easy dinner!