This Instant Pot Shredded Chicken is moist and tender with just the perfect amount of seasoning to use in dishes of all types. It is great to make ahead for meal prep – I like to double the recipe so I have plenty. Shredded chicken is excellent to have on hand to add to salads, quesadillas, sandwiches, wraps, tacos, and stir fry! Your week just got simplified.
- 1 Instant Pot Shredded Chicken Backstory
- 2 How To Make Instant Pot Shredded Chicken:
- 3 Frequently Asked Questions for Instant Pot Shredded Chicken:
- 4 Variations:
- 5 Tips for Making This Recipe
- 6 Ways to Use Shredded Chicken
- 7 Tools for Making Instant Pot Shredded Chicken:
- 8 Instant Pot Shredded Chicken
Instant Pot Shredded Chicken Backstory
Sometimes I can be a little slow.
Case in point: I waited until the middle of last year to buy an Instant Pot despite the fact that I am a food blogger and that they are all the rage.
To be honest, I never understood what all the fuss was about.
What could my Instant Pot do that my Slow Cooker couldn’t?
Turns out quite a bit.
Now that I finally have one, I’m kicking myself for waiting so long to jump on the bandwagon.
Not only is it the best way I know of for busy Moms to get a meal on the table fast, but Instant Pots also have a host of other functions. Mine works as a: Pressure Cooker, Slow Cooker, Rice Cooker, Yogurt Maker, Cake Maker, Egg Cooker, Sauté, Steamer, Warmer, and Sterilizer.
Whew – as you can see I have quite a few other appliances that I won’t be needing any time soon.
(If only it was an Air Fryer too. You guys know I adore my Air Fryer!)
One of my favorite ways to use my Instant Pot is for this super-simple recipe. I have made variations of this recipe every week since I got my Instant Pot and I doubt I’ll ever go a week without making it.
It takes just minutes and makes dinnertime a snap.
There is no need to run out for a rotisserie chicken when you can have shredded chicken in less than 15 minutes! I love that it is not only saving me time but also saving me money!
I have used this recipe in salads, open-faced chicken salad sandwiches, zucchini ravioli and zucchini enchiladas. Here is a a great list of recipes you can make with shredded chicken if you are looking for a little inspiration. I am dying to make these Baked Buffalo Taquitos.
How To Make Instant Pot Shredded Chicken:
1. Gather your ingredients. You will need chicken, tomato puree, chicken broth, garlic powder, bay leaf, salt, and pepper. If you don’t have tomato puree, just add in 1/4 cup more broth.
2. Add the ingredients to your pressure cooker.
3. Close the lid and pressure valve.
4. Turn the pressure cooker to high, and set the time for 12 minutes.
5. When the time is up, CAREFULLY quick release the pressure. (I recommend wearing oven mitts when doing this.)
6. Allow the chicken to sit for 5 minutes, then open the lid.
7. Carefully remove from the Instant Pot and shred. Alternatively, allow to cool and shred in the pressure cooker.
When I make this recipe on the weekends, I divide it into small containers and freeze it. That way I can pull out just what I need during the week.
Since I have been really good about meal planning lately, I go through what I am planning on cooking and portion out exactly what I need for recipes, making sure I’ve got some left for easy lunches.
Frequently Asked Questions for Instant Pot Shredded Chicken:
How Long Do You Pressure Cook Chicken Breast?
- How long you pressure cook will depend on how many pounds you are cooking as well as the size of the pieces. Cubed chicken will cook more quickly than whole breasts. Likewise, it will take a little longer to cook four pounds than it will two, so make sure you adjust accordingly. Generally speaking, I recommend cooking between 10 and 12 minutes.
How Much Liquid Do You Need in an Instant Pot?
- You can adjust the amount of liquid according to personal preferences, but I recommend using at least one cup. Since I am most often making this recipe ahead of time, I like to reserve the liquid for storing. It makes the meat much more moist.
Is There a Difference Between and Instant Pot and Pressure Cooker?
- I like to think of an Instant Pot as a very fancy Pressure Cooker with additional features. Also, not all pressure cookers are electric whereas all Instant Pots are.
How Do I Do a Quick Release On an Instant Pot?
- Check out this video!
Can I Freeze This Recipe?
- Absolutely! I recommend dividing it into smaller containers in various sizes according to how you think that you will use it. I let it cool completely first and then label it with the date so that I can always use the oldest first.
- To make taco filling, use the saute function to saute an onion in olive oil for 6 minutes. Omit the broth and add 10 ounces of diced tomatoes with green chilies and 2 tablespoons taco seasoning. After the meat is done and shredded, squeeze the juice of 1/2 lime over it.
- To make BBQ shredded chicken, add in 3/4 cup barbecue sauce and 1/4 cup broth.
Tips for Making This Recipe
- Make sure you use the quick release function to avoid over cooking. If you prefer not to use this function, reduce the cooking time to six minutes.
- Always test the meat to make sure it is done. The internal cooking temperature should be at least 165 degrees.
Ways to Use Shredded Chicken
- Healthy Buffalo Chicken Dip
- Oven Fried Taquitos
- Spicy Noodle Bowl
- Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Casserole
- Chicken and Marinated Veggie Quesadillas
- Orange Poppyseed Chicken Salad
- Avocado Pesto Chicken Salad Wraps
- Asian Chicken Salad
The following are affiliate links. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Tools for Making Instant Pot Shredded Chicken:
- Instant Pot
- Forks (for shredding)
- Kitchen Mitt
Instant Pot Shredded Chicken
- Place chicken, tomato puree, chicken broth, garlic powder, bay leaf, salt and pepper in the Instant Pot.
- Close the lid and pressure valve.
- Cook at high pressure for 12 minutes.
- Quick release pressure. Allow chicken to sit another 5 minutes and then open the lid.
- Remove from the Instant Pot and shred.