Craving food that will leave you feeling your best? It doesn’t get any better than this Lentil Quinoa Salad. Lentils, quinoa, carrot, red pepper, scallions, and cranberries are tops with a zippy Balsamic Vinegar dressing and finished off with walnuts for a little added texture. This one is nutrition-packed and big on flavor.
Full Your Day with a Protein-Packed Lentil Quinoa Salad!
I’ll be honest – when things get overwhelming, I am the first person to dive into comfort food.
I think we can all agree that the world is more than a little overwhelming right now.
Although I can’t say that I am completely resisting the urge to “eat my emotions”, I am making an effort to make sure that at least 70% of my diet if full of meals that leave me feeling great.
This Lentil Quinoa Salad is a deliciously easy vegan salad that never gets old. I started making it before Skye was born – and she turned seven this month. When you need a meal that is filling without weighing you down, this recipe is perfection!
Storing Quinoa and Balsamic Lentil Salad
This recipe will keep in the refrigerator for about 4 days. I like to keep a little extra dressing on hand to freshen up the salad just before serving.
Lentils are loaded with iron, fiber, and are a fabulous source of plant-based protein.
Quinoa is a nutritional superstar, possessing all nine of the amino acids that we need for optimum health. Like lentils, it is also an excellent source of both iron and fiber.
How to Make Quinoa Lentil Salad
Start with cooked quinoa and lentils. You can use canned and drained lentils if you like. Thawed frozen quinoa works too. Read this post to learn everything you need to know about cooking quinoa.
Place the lentils and quinoa in a large bowl. Add the peeled carrot, red pepper, scallions, and cranberries. Toss with the dressing and top with the walnuts.
Variations for this Recipe
- For an extra kick of flavor, add goat cheese (dairy or vegan) and fresh mint.
- Chopped celery adds a nice additional texture.
- Roasted red pepper can be substituted for fresh.
- Dried cherries work in place of the cranberries.
If You Like This Recipe You May Also Like:
- Brussels Sprout Salad is a delicious salad that makes a great side or main course. It is what I make when I want serious flavors and don’t want to spend all day in the kitchen.
- Looking for more quinoa salad inspiration? Check out these 101 Quinoa Salad Recipes.
- Craving more lentils? This Roasted Tomato Lentil Salad never gets old. With roasted garlic and a punchy dressing, this is an all time favorite.
Lentil Quinoa Salad
- In a large bowl combine lentils, quinoa, carrot, red pepper, scallions and cranberries.
- Toss lentil mixture with desired amount of dressing. Top with walnuts. Serve chilled or at room temperature.
This recipe was originally published June 2016, updated May 2020.