If you want a delicious grilled dinner without needing to head outdoors, this Ninja Foodi Grill Chicken Breast is absolute perfection. With just four ingredients (plus salt and pepper), you have perfectly seasoned chicken with all the charr you would expect from outdoor grilling. This grilled chicken is tender and juicy with just the right amount of crispiness.
Don't have a Ninja Grill? No worries - I have got traditional grilling instructions too!
I have always been a massive fan of using an indoor grill.
Living in Florida, it is so hot here much of the year. While I love the experience of outdoor grilling, I don't love sweating or swatting bugs.
For this reason, I was thrilled when I got a Ninja Foodi Grill for Christmas. (The Foodi Grill also has an air fryer, bake, roast, broil, and dehydrate mode - meaning it isn't a one-trick pony.)
The Foodi Grill makes cooking chicken - and so many other things - so stinking easy. Recipes like this Ninja Foodi Grill Chicken Breast come together in a flash!
When you need an easy dinner, it doesn't get much better than this.
Ingredients for Making Ninja Foodi Grill Chicken
- Oil: Avocado Oil is my go-to for high-heat cooking.
- Lemon: I used the zest and juice of one large lemon.
- Fresh Parsley: Parsley is excellent here, but feel free to play with the herbs. An herb blend would be particularly nice here.
- Salt and Pepper: Adjust the amount of salt and pepper to suit your taste.
- Chicken: I made this Ninja Grill chicken with breasts. Chicken thighs would work too.
Tips for Perfect Grilling with the Ninja Foodi Grill
Don't Skip Preheating
The Ninja Foodi Grill doesn't take long to preheat, and you will be richly rewarded for your patience. Preheating the grill is essential to achieving a great sear and charred flavor.
The Foodi Grill has an indicator that lets you know when the grill grate is ready, and it is time to add your food. Like a traditional grill, you will want to keep the lid closed while you are preheating.
Adding oil to foods promotes charring and crisping. I recommend spraying or brushing meats, seafood, and vegetables with avocado oil before cooking. Alternatively, you can do what I did in this Ninja Foodi Grill chicken breast recipe and marinate your meats in a heat-safe oil.
Salt Meat Ahead of Time
If at all possible, salt your meat ahead of time. This allows the salt time to work into the muscle structure, giving you seasoning beyond what you would get if you salted just before cooking.
Salting ahead of time increases the meat's ability to retain water. The result is juicer cuts. I strive to salt meat 24 hours ahead of time, but even an hour will make a difference.
Allow Meat to Rest
Not resting meat is probably one of the biggest mistakes made in cooking. Resting allows the liquid to redistribute throughout the meat and prevents those delicious juices from ending up all over your plate.
For most cuts of meat, five to ten minutes of resting is all that is needed. Larger cuts can benefit from a longer rest.
Use an Instant Read Thermometer
For perfectly cooked meat every time, an instant-read meat thermometer is an invaluable tool. It is essential, because cooking times can vary based on the thickness of the meat.
You can pick up an inexpensive thermometer that you insert into the meat to determine the temperature. At the higher end, there are models with a sensor you can leave in the food and an external display that allows you to see what temperature your meat is without having to open the lid. Some models even have apps that will display the temperature on your smartphone!
Some of the newer Ninja Foodi Grills have a thermometer built-in!
Side Dishes For Grilled Chicken
Frequently Asked Questions
I always use avocado oil - whether I am using my Ninja Foodi Grill or grilling outside. It is the best oil for grilling because it has clean ingredients and can withstand high temperatures. I don't recommend grilling with extra virgin olive oil.
You want to pull the chicken off the grill when it reaches 160° F. The temperature will continue to increase as it rests, and it will reach the recommended temperature of 165° F.
Tools Needed to Make Grilled Chicken in a Ninja Foodi Grill
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualified sales.
Ninja Foodi Grill Chicken Breast
- In a blender, combine the avocado oil, lemon juice and zest, parsley, salt, and pepper—process for 1 minute.
- Place the chicken in a shallow dish or zip-top bag. Pour all but ¼ cup of the marinade over the chicken and toss to coat.
- Reserve the remaining marinade.
- Marinate for at least 30 minutes or up to 4 hours.
- Drain the marinade.
Ninja Foodi Grill
- Using the grill setting, preheat to medium heat. Set the timer to 16 minutes.
- When you get the add food notification, add the chicken.
- Cook for 8 minutes and then flip. Brush with reserved marinade.
- Cook for an additional eight minutes or until the internal temperature reaches 160° F.
- Allow to rest for 5 to 10 minutes before serving.
Grill or Grill Pan
- Preheat a grill or grill pan to medium-high heat.
- Grill, covered, for 8 minutes. Flip and brush with the reserved marinade.
- Cook for about 8 minutes more until the meat reaches about 160 degrees.
- (It will continue to cook as it rests and reach the recommended 165 degrees.