Try these Air Fryer Fried Chicken Legs for a healthier alternative to fried chicken. They are crispy, crunchy and oh so delicious, without all the added fat. This is a delicious meal that both kids and adults can agree on.
(I think he was tired of hearing me drop not-too-subtle hints about it.)
I am happy to report that I love it even more than I had hoped.
It is such a great way to create easy weeknight meals, like these Air Fryer Chicken Legs.
So far, in addition to this recipe, we’ve made steaks, Brussels sprouts, french fries and sandwiches in it. All have been a smashing success.
I knew I was going to love my Air Fryer, but I didn’t realize that it was something that we were going to use almost every day. To be honest, I am pretty shocked that the it works as well as it does! It isn’t that I was skeptical, exactly.
More that I expected to feel like we were sacrificing in some way. (Like Air Popped Popcorn. It is good, but not near as tasty as the “real” thing.)
I am happy to report that I feel zero sense of sacrifice over traditionally fried foods. (And that is saying something. I love to create healthy recipes, but I am also a Southern girl at heart.)
The boys love chicken legs, and I love that I can make them for them without having to stink up my house with oil or go to the trouble of frying. Plus, since Alex is now a teen, these are something that the boys can make for themselves and I don’t have to be neurotic about them burning themselves with hot oil. (Or burning down the house with the gas stove.)
You know what is even better?
They are so much better for them than traditional fried chicken.
Let’s be honest. Nothing screams comfort food like fried chicken. This healthier remake offers all the same comfort without the guilt.
These aren’t dried out legs! They are moist, tender and crispy.
It is one that is in the regular rotation at our house.
- 1 Frequently Asked Questions About Air Fryers:
- 2 Recommended Equipment to Make This Recipe
- 3 Variations for Air Fryer Fried Chicken Legs
- 4 Air Fryer Chicken Legs
- 5 If You Like These Air Fried Chicken Drumsticks You May Also Like:
- 6 More Recipes To Try:
Frequently Asked Questions About Air Fryers:
What is Air Frying?
- Air Frying is a method of using convection heat to cook with less fat. The goal is to create healthier dishes with less fat.
How Does an IT Work?
- They work by circulating hot air around the cooking chamber using a convection fan. The result is delicious crispy food with all the flavor of deep fried foods but a fraction of the fat.
Can You Do Anything Other Than Fry in an Air Fryer?
- Absolutely! You can bake, grill and roast in most air fryers thanks to the optional accessories offered by most manufacturers.
The following are affiliate links. We are a participants in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Recommended Equipment to Make This Recipe
Oven Baked Chicken Legs
- Don’t have an air fryer? Preheat oven to 375. Bake for 1 hour, flipping after 30 minutes
- For easy clean up, line the bottom of your fryer with parchment paper. Once you are done cooking, allow to cool slightly and then hand wash. Rinse. Turn your Air Fryer back on for a few minutes to dry.
Variations for Air Fryer Fried Chicken Legs
- In place of the pickle brine, try this Rosemary Buttermilk Brine. Proceed with the rest of the recipe as normal.
- For an extra kick, add in 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper to the seasonings.
- Add 1/2 cup grated parmesan to the flour mixture.
Air Fryer Chicken Legs
- 1/2 cup pickle brine from a refrigerated jar of pickles
- 1 1/2 pounds chicken drumsticks
- 3/4 cup gluten free flour (use regular flour if you aren't gluten free)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- Salt and Pepper to taste (I used 1 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon pepper)
- 2 eggs beaten
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil spray
- Pour pickle brine into a medium bowl and add chicken drumsticks. Allow to marinate for at least 30 minutes and up to 2 hours.
- Preheat the Air Fryer to 390 degrees.
- Remove chicken drumsticks from pickle brine and gently pat dry.
- In a shallow dish, combine flour, garlic powder, smoked paprika, salt and pepper.
- In a separate bowl, beat eggs together.
- Dip chicken legs in the eggs and then coat with the flour mixture.
- Shake off any excess flour.
- Spray the chicken with oil.
- Cook for 10 minutes and turn the chicken. Cook another 8 minutes, or until the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees.
If You Like These Air Fried Chicken Drumsticks You May Also Like:
- Smokey Chicken with Avocado Sauce
- Turmeric Chicken & Quinoa
- Slow Cooker Chicken Tacos with Mango Salsa
- Chicken & Bean Tostadas with Smokey Lime Sauce
- Air Fryer Chicken Breast Recipe
More Recipes To Try:
- Chicken Parmesan from Skinnytaste
- Rotisserie Chicken from This Old Gal
- Roast Chicken from BitznGiggles