This fast and easy Air Fryer Asparagus is a recipe I turn to again and again. Here I pair perfectly cooked crisp-tender asparagus with a kick of garlic and top it off with zippy lemon juice, lemon zest, and creamy goat cheese. This tried and true weeknight staple comes together in a flash.
One of my most used appliances in the kitchen is my air fryer.
Often I'll air fry meat and then make a quick side while the meat is resting. This Air Fryer Asparagus is the perfect example.
Since it cooks in just eight minutes, it is ready to serve at about the same time that the meat is.
Vegetable side dishes don't get any easier than this!
Ingredients for Making Asparagus in the Air Fryer
- Asparagus - You one about a pound of fresh asparagus.
- Olive Oil - I don't recommend cooking with extra virgin olive oil, but regular or light work well. Avocado oil may be substituted.
- Garlic -You can use ½ teaspoon of garlic powder if you don't have fresh garlic on hand.
- Salt and Pepper - Adjust the seasonings to your taste. I like to finish with Maldon sea salt, but this is optional.
- Goat Cheese - I find that buying goat cheese and crumbling it myself gives a fuller flavor. It is quick and easy and so worth it.
- Lemon - Use one fresh lemon, zest, and juice.
- Thyme - If you don't have fresh thyme, use ¼ teaspoon of dried thyme.
Tips, Tricks, and Variations
- You can trim the asparagus by simply bending the stalks. Your spears may not appear uniform in length, but this will cause them to snap in the "perfect" place every time.
- Remember that all air fryers cook a little differently, so your cook time may vary.
- In place of the goat cheese, top with 3 slices of crumbled bacon and Parmesan cheese.
- Substitute balsamic vinegar for the lemon juice.
- Use lime juice instead of lemon juice and add a pinch of cayenne pepper.
Picking and Storing Asparagus
Look for asparagus that has firm, crisp stalks, and tight budding tips. It should appear moist, but not overly wet and have a bright color.
Asparagus is best when it is fresh! The flavor deteriorates fairly quickly. If you do have to store it, trim the ins and put them upright in a mason jar or glass of water.
Cover with a plastic bag and put in the fridge.
Frequently Asked Questions
What Can I Do with Leftover Asparagus?
Leftovers are great added to a Frittata, used in a risotto, or served cold in a salad.
Can You Air Fry Asparagus Ahead of Time?
You CAN make it ahead, but because of the crisp-tender factor, I prefer this made just before serving.
Can I Make this Recipe in the Oven?
Yes! To make roasted asparagus in the oven, preheat your broiler and broil the seasoned asparagus spears for 4 to 6 minutes.
Tools Needed To Make This Recipe
As an amazon associate, I earn from qualifying sales.
- Air Fryer
- Mixing Bowls
- Serving Platter
How to Cook Asparagus in the Air Fryer
More Air Fryer Recipes to Try
- For another easy side that goes well with air fried asparagus, these Air Fryer Mushrooms are perfect.
- When you make Air Fried Chicken Breast the whole family is going to be happy!
- Air Fryer Chicken Wings are a must-try recipe.
10-Minute Air Fryer Asparagus
- 1 pound asparagus trimmed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 2 ounces goat cheese
- Zest and Juice of 1 lemon
- Preheat the air fryer to 380 degrees.
- In a medium bowl, toss together the asparagus, olive oil, garlic, salt, and black pepper.
- Place asparagus in the air fryer basket in a single layer.
- Cook for 4 to 8 minutes, to desired doneness.
- Transfer to a serving platter. Top with goat cheese, lemon zest, and lemon juice. If desired season with a pinch of flakey salt.