This fast and easy Air Fryer Asparagus is a recipe I turn to again and again. Here I pair perfectly cooked crisp-tender asparagus with a kick of garlic and top it off with zippy lemon juice, lemon zest, and creamy goat cheese. This is a tried and true weeknight staple that comes together in a flash.
No air fryer? You can make this in the oven too.
One of my most used appliances in the kitchen is my air fryer.
Often I'll air fry meat and then make a quick side while the meat is resting. This Air Fryer Asparagus is the perfect example.
It is so easy, and bonus points - the whole family loves it. (Even those who have never loved asparagus!)
Since it cooks in just eight minutes, it is ready to serve about the same time that the meat is.
Since I've made the whole meal in the air fryer, clean-up is a breeze!
Vegetable side dishes don't get any easier than this!
Asparagus is perfect for swimsuit season because it works as a tummy debloater. It has natural diuretic effects that can help to flush excess water from the body. Read more here.
Ingredients for Making Asparagus in the Air Fryer
- Asparagus - You one about a pound of fresh asparagus.
- Olive Oil - I don't recommend cooking with extra virgin olive oil, but regular or light work well. Avocado oil may be substituted.
- Garlic -You can use ½ teaspoon of garlic powder if you don't have fresh garlic on hand.
- Salt and Pepper - Adjust the seasonings to your taste. I like to finish will Maldon sea salt, but this is optional.
- Goat Cheese - I find that buying goat cheese and crumbling it myself gives a fuller flavor. It is quick and easy and so worth it.
- Lemon - Use one fresh lemon, zest and juice.
- Thyme - If you don't have fresh thyme, use ¼ teaspoon of dried thyme.
Tips, Tricks, and Variations
- You can trim the asparagus by simply bending the stalk if you prefer. Your spears may not appear uniform in length, but this will cause them to snap in the "perfect" place every time.
- Remember that all air fryers cool a little differently, so your cook time may vary.
- In place of goat cheese, top with 3 slices of crumbled bacon and Parmesan cheese.
- Substitute balsamic vinegar for the lemon juice.
- Use lime juice instead of lemon juice and add a pinch of cayenne pepper.
- Air Fryer Chicken Cutlets
- Cowboy Ribeye and Blackstone Potatoes
- Air Fryer Turkey Breast
- Greek Stuffed Chicken
- Air Fryer Chicken Legs
- Panko Crusted Rockfish Filets
Frequently Asked Questions:
Leftovers are great added to a Frittata, use in a risotto, or served cold in a salad.
You CAN make it ahead, but because of the crisp-tender factor, I prefer this made just before serving.
Yes! To make roasted asparagus in the oven, preheat your broiler and broil the seasoned asparagus spears for 4 to 6 minutes.
Looking for asparagus that has firm, crisp stalks, and tight budding tips. It should appear moist, but not overly wet and have a bright color.
Asparagus is best when it is fresh! The flavor deteriorates fairly quickly. If you do have to store it, trim the ins and put them upright in a mason jar or glass of water. Cover with a plastic bag and put in the fridge.
Tools Needed To Make This Recipe
As an amazon associate, I earn from qualifying sales.
- Air Fryer
- Mixing Bowls
- Serving Platter
How to Cook Asparagus in the Air Fryer
Preheat your air fryer and toss the asparagus with olive oil, garlic, salt, and pepper.
Place the asparagus in your air fryer basket in a single layer.
Cook for 4 to 8 minutes.
Transfer to a serving platter. Sprinkle with goat cheese, lemon zest, lemon juice, and thyme.
More Air Fryer Recipes to Try
- For another easy side that goes well with air fried asparagus, these Air Fryer Mushrooms are perfect.
- When you make Air Fried Chicken Breast the whole family is going to be happy!
- Air Fryer Chicken Wings are a must-try recipe.
Air Fryer Asparagus
- 1 pound asparagus trimmed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- For Topping
- 2 ounces goat cheese
- Zest and Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme chopped
- Flakey salt
- Preheat the air fryer to 380 degrees.
- In a medium bowl, toss together the asparagus, olive oil, garlic, salt, and black pepper.
- Place asparagus in the air fryer basket in a single layer.
- Cook for 4 to 8 minutes, to desired doneness.
- Transfer to a serving platter. Top with goat cheese, lemon zest, lemon juice, and thyme. If desired season with a pinch of flakey salt.
Amazing! Love how you've displayed it!
Can I do the frozen one's the same way
I haven't tried it, but it should work just fine.