These Open Faced Baked Cheese Sandwiches with Pickled Onions are a delicious way to elevate your cheese sandwich. Paired with a salad, they make a great lunch or light dinner.
If I had to pick one meal as a favorite, it would be lunch.
As I get older, a heavy or indulgent meal at night usually doesn't sit right, and I'm not a big fan of breakfast foods.
I prefer eating at lunchtime so much that if hubby and I are going to go on a date, this is when we do it. (Let's forget for a minute that I often fail to make it up past 8:30 and this also contributes to the tendency to choose lunch dates over dinner dates.)
With three kids and a home business, spending a lot of time on lunch isn't always an option.
So I feed my inner foodie with recipes like today's Open Faced Baked Cheese Sandwiches with Pickled Onions.
[clickToTweet tweet="For an easy to make lunch that feels luxurious, try these Open Faced Baked Cheese Sandwiches." quote="For an easy to make #glutenfree lunch that feels luxurious, try these Open Faced Baked Cheese Sandwiches."]
It is so easy to put together but feels special. I often make the onions ahead.
Together with a salad like this Kale Salad, and I've got a meal that is both healthy and luxurious.
Open Faced Baked Cheese Sandwiches with Pickled Onions
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- ¼ cup rice wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 yellow onion shaved
- Salt and pepper
- 4 ounces fontina cheese grated
- 4 ounces Parmesan cheese grated
- ⅓ cup cottage cheese
- 1 tablespoon Dijon Mustard
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- 4 slices bread gluten free
- In a small saucepan, bring vinegar to a simmer. Remove from heat and add onion, salt and pepper. Allow to sit for 15 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Heat an ovenproof skillet over medium heat.
- In a medium bowl, combine fontina, parmesan, cottage cheese, mustard and smoked paprika.
- Spray the skillet well with oil. Add top bread slices with cheese mixture and add to skillet, cheese side up. Cook for about 3 minutes, until the bottom browns. Add a tomato slice and transfer to the oven. Cook for 7 to 10 minutes, until lightly browned. Remove from oven and transfer to serving plates.
- Drain onions and place on top of sandwiches. Serve with a salad.