Enjoy the flavors of a classic Philly Cheesesteak all in one bite with this easy-to-make Chicken Philly Cheesesteak Sandwich. With just a few ingredients and a skillet or a Blackstone flat-top griddle, you can make this delicious meal in no time! The juicy and tender chicken combined with gooey cheese and flavorful vegetables is sure to be a crowd-pleaser.
Do you ever crave a delicious gooey cheesesteak sandwich at home? I know I do!
Today, I am showing you how to make my favorite chicken Philly cheesesteak. It is super easy, and you can cook it indoors in a skillet or head outside to your Blackstone griddle.
Either way, it comes together in a flash - It is so easy that it is on my list of what to make for dinner when I don't have a plan!
Best of all, the flavor is out of this world. With just a few ingredients, you'll be enjoying a delicious lunch or dinner in no time. Follow along, and I'll teach you how.
Looking for a Philly cheesesteak with beef? Don't miss my Blackstone Philly cheesesteak recipe.
- Chicken: I like chicken thighs when making a chicken cheesesteak, but you could use boneless skinless chicken breast if you prefer.
- Italian Seasoning: I often buy my Italian seasoning, but you can make it at home if you'd prefer. You could add garlic powder and smoked paprika if you like.
- Salt and Pepper: Just a pinch of each will do the trick to season your chicken.
- Onion and Bell Pepper: I like to use yellow or white onions, however any onion would work, as well as any color bell pepper. Green bell pepper adds a distinct flavor that many people enjoy. Mushrooms are also a great addition. Since bell peppers aren't traditionally found in Philly Cheesesteak, feel free to omit this ingredient.
- Provolone Cheese: Provolone cheese adds great flavor but you could use any cheese you'd like. White american cheese is also a great option.
- Hoagie Rolls: You want a nice, crusty roll that will hold up to the juicy chicken and vegetables. I usually opt for something on the larger side.
Step by Step
For the full recipe with measurements, see the recipe card at the end of the post.
Blackstone Griddle Chicken Philly Cheesesteaks
Remove the chicken and vegetables from the griddle. Reduce heat to medium and place the buns seam-side down until they are warm and lightly toasted.
Form sandwiches by layering some onions, peppers, and cheesy chicken on the buns.
Chicken Philly Cheesesteaks
Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat and spray well with oil with your favorite high heat oil. (Canola oil, vegetable oil and avocado oil are good options.) Add the onions and peppers to the skillet and cook for about 15 minutes.
Remove from the skillet and cover with foil. Add the chicken to the skillet, cook for 8 minutes or until cooked through. Layer the cheese slices over the chicken and cover the skillet. Cook until the cheese melts.
Lightly toast your buns, or heat them seam side down on the skillet.
Divide the chicken and vegetable mixture between the buns and serve warm. Enjoy!
Tips & Tricks
- To make Italian seasoning at home, combine equal parts dried basil, oregano, rosemary, and thyme.
- If you want a bit of heat in your sandwich, add some red pepper flakes to the chicken seasoning mix.
- Slice the vegetables close to the same size so that they cook evenly.
- If possible, use a Blackstone griddle or skillet that is large enough to fit all of the vegetables and meat at once. If using a skillet, you can use separate skillets for the vegetables and meat if you want to cook them at the same time.
- Feel free to customize the sandwich to your person preference. Mayo can be added to the bun, and you can add lettuce and tomato to the sandwiches.
What is chicken cheesesteak made of?
Chicken cheesesteak is made with boneless skinless chicken, onions, bell peppers, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper, and provolone cheese. It's served on a sub roll.
What is the secret to a Philly cheesesteak?
The key to a great Philly cheesesteak is to cook the vegetables and meat separately, and use a high-quality hoagie roll. This will ensure that each component has perfect flavor and texture.
Additionally, it's important to season the chicken with salt and pepper, as well as Italian seasoning for added flavor. Finally, be sure to use high-quality cheese, such as provolone. This will make the sandwich gooey and delicious.
As an amazon associate, I earn from qualifying sales.
- Blackstone griddle or large skillet
- Griddle dome (or a lid for your skillet)
More Sandwich Recipes to Try
- Nothing beats a warm and savory slow cooker French dip sandwich. It is perfect for dinner on a busy weeknight.
- Make a flavorful, buttery and crunchy Reuben in your air fryer for an easy and delicious dinner!
- Enjoy a sweet and creamy treat with this easy-to-make apple brie sandwich, the perfect lunch for any day.
- Treat yourself to this delicious and simple tri-tip sandwich tonight! Succulent flavors of tender beef, and a flavorful sauce come together in this amazing sandwich
30-Minute Chicken Philly Cheesesteak - Blackstone Griddle or Skillet
- 2 ½ pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs cut into strips
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- ½ teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 2 onions sliced (or 1 large onion)
- 2 bell peppers seeded and sliced
- 8 slices provolone cheese
- 8 hoagie rolls sliced
- Place the chicken in a large bowl.
- Add the Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper and toss to combine.
Blackstone Griddle Instructions
- Preheat your Blackstone to medium to medium-high heat. (About 400 degrees.)
- Oil the griddle well.
- Add the onions and peppers to one side and cook for about 8 minutes.
- Add the chicken to the other side. Cook for another 8 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through, lowering the temperature on the vegetables as needed.
- Add the cheese slices to the top of the chicken and cover. Cook until the cheese melts.
- Remove the chicken and vegetables from the griddle.
- Reduce the heat to medium and place the buns seam side down until they are warm and lightly toasted.
- Form sandwiches by layering the vegetables and cheesy chicken on the buns.
- Heat a large skillet over medium high heat. Spray well with oil.
- Add the onions and peppers and cook for about 15 minutes.
- Remove from the skillet and cover with foil.
- Add the chicken to the skillet, and cook for 8 minutes, or until cooked through.
- Layer the cheese slices over the chicken and cover the skillet. Cook until the cheese melts.
- Lightly toast your buns, or heat them seam side down on the skillet.
- Divide the chicken and vegetable mixture between the buns and serve warm.