These delicious quinoa corn cakes make a great light dinner that the kids will love. A great way to get kids eating quinoa.
I have to confess that this corn cake recipe has been sitting in my WordPress dashboard (along with several other quinoa recipes) unpublished for a few weeks now. It’s not because I am not crazy about the recipe – I actually really love it. It’s just that…yep…its another quinoa cake / quinoa patty type recipe and I’ve been putting off publishing because, well, the abundance of quinoa patties around here is getting a little embarrassing. 🙂
About a month ago we started buying our produce through a local Co-Op. I was actually searching for a CSA, but none of them start around here until further into the fall. I was REALLY excited to find a Co-Op where I can buy organic produce each week and pick it up at a designated spot. The only negative is that the pick up time and place that is the most convenient for us is noon on Saturday which means I’ve yet to see the Pioneer Woman’s Food Network show AND it kind of requires we plan our day around it. I’ll have to say though, that the savings has been worth it. For $35 I get a big box of organic produce:
Other than the okra that is sitting in the refrigerator (begging to be fried…Southern Roots are slow to die :)) there hasn’t been much that I haven’t known what I was going to do with. It’s actually pushing me to try new things each week so that I can make sure everything get’s used. We get 5 pounds of organic Gala Apples each week and this surplus brought about the Quinoa Apple Crisp I’ll share with you soon.
Anyhow….A few weeks ago we were lucky to get our hands on some organic corn. It was amazing and I was so happy that I had thought to order an extra dozen ears because now I have some in my freezer. I used the corn in an amazing Mexican Quinoa Salad (coming soon) as well as this corn cake recipe.
Adapted from Clean Eating.
Quinoa Corn Cakes
Quinoa Corn Cakes
- 2 cups cooked quinoa
- 1 1/2 cups organic corn thawed
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley chopped & divided
- 1 tablespoon fresh chives chopped
- 1/2 cup whole wheat breadcrumbs
- 1/2 onion diced fine
- 2 tablespoons whole wheat flour
- 2 eggs beaten (or 4 egg whites or 2 T ground flax seed mixed with 6 T water)
- 3/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 to mato diced
- 2 tsp white balsamic vinegar
- 1 shallot chopped
- 1 tsp garlic
- In a large bowl, combine quinoa, corn, 1 tablespoon parsley, chives, breadcrumbs, onion and flour. Stir until well combined and add eggs, sea salt and pepper. Form into patties.
- Heat a large skillet to medium low. Add olive oil or coconut oil. Cook patties 5 to 7 minutes per side. Flip patties when the edges start to turn brown and a crust has formed. If they stick let them cook another minute or two before flipping. Drain on a paper towel and repeat with remaining patties, adding more oil if needed.
- Meanwhile, combine tomato, vinegar, shallot, garlic and remaining tablespoon of parsley in a small bowl.
- Serve corn cakes with tomato relish on top.
If You Like These Quinoa Corn Cakes You May Also Like: