Fall is the perfect time to enjoy a delicious apple brie sandwich. Tart apple and creamy brie cheese are perfect for a flavorful and satisfying sandwich. This recipe takes just 15-minutes to make and is sure to become a favorite!
If you're like most people, when fall comes around, you love all things apple-related.
I can’t get enough braised red cabbage with apples and apple cheddar soup. And my go-to drink is this apple shrub.
This brie and apple sandwich is another favorite of mine, and I think you will love it too.
Rich and creamy brie pairs perfectly with sweet and tart apples to create a sandwich that is perfect for a quick weekday dinner or a leisurely weekend brunch.
Ingredients for Making Apple Brie Sandwich
- Butter: You can use salted or unsalted butter. Just make sure that it is at room temperature. This will ensure that it spreads evenly on the bread.
- Mayonnaise: Use good quality mayonnaise. My go-to brand is Primal Kitchen.
- Dijon mustard: This adds a bit of tanginess to the sandwich. You can also use honey mustard if you prefer.
- Bread: We like sturdy bread for this sandwich, such as sourdough or a rustic loaf. You can also use lighter bread, such as white.
- Brie cheese: This is the star of the show! Make sure to slice the cheese thinly so that it melts evenly.
- Apple: You can use your favorite kind of apple.
Tips & Tricks
- You want your bread to be moderately thick to hold up to the melted cheese and moisture of the apples. I don't recommend making this with thin-sliced bread or thin sandwich rounds.
- Arugula and spinach are great options if you want to add a touch of green to your grilled cheese sandwich.
- If you want a bit more crunch in your sandwich, add a few thinly sliced almonds or chopped pecans.
- Don't have brie cheese on hand? You can use another type of soft cheese, such as Camembert or mild cheddar.
This sandwich is perfect by itself for a vegetarian weekend lunch. I have even served it at a brunch.
If you want a side dish, I suggest a simple green salad. The acidity of the vinegar in the dressing will help cut through the richness of the sandwich.
If you want to add meat to this sandwich, I recommend thinly sliced ham or turkey.
What Apples are Best for Sandwiches?
The best apples for sandwiches are those that are firm and not too sweet.
Granny Smith apples are great because they have a tart flavor that pairs well with the rich brie cheese.
Other good options include Honeycrisp, Braeburn, and Jonathan Apples.
Tools Needed to Make This Brie Sandwich
As an amazon associate, I earn from qualifying sales.
- Skillet, baking sheet, or air fryer
This sandwich is best served immediately.
Leftovers will keep for about a day in a sealed container in the refrigerator. I recommend squeezing a bit of lemon juice over the apples to keep them from browning.
How to Make Brie Grilled Cheese
First, start by spreading your softened butter on one side of each slice of bread and the mayo and mustard on the other.
Set the bread down, butter side down, and top with the sliced apples and brie cheese.
Place the remaining slice of bread on top, mayo and mustard side down.
Preheat a large skillet over medium heat and cook the sandwiches until golden brown on both sides and the cheese is melted, about 3 to 5 minutes per side.
The air fryer is my favorite way to make a crisp "grilled" sandwich!
Preheat your air fryer to 400 degrees Fahrenheit and cook the sandwiches for 8 minutes, until golden brown and the cheese is bubbly.
You can also bake these sandwiches in a preheated oven at 400 degrees Fahrenheit for about 10 minutes until the cheese is melted and bubbly and the bread is golden brown.
More Sandwich Recipes to Try
Apple Brie Sandwich
- Air Fryer optional; can use a skillet or bake
- 4 tablespoons butter at room temperature
- 4 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 8 slices bread
- 8 ounces brie cheese sliced
- 1 apple cored and sliced thin
- Spread the butter on one side of the bread and the mayonnaise and mustard on the other.
- Set butter side down on a plate or cutting board.
- Top with the apple and brie.
- Place the remaining bread mayonnaise side down on top.
- Set a large skillet over medium heat.
- Cook the sandwiches in the skillet until the cheese is melted and bubbly and the bread is golden brown, about 3 to 5 minutes per side.
- Preheat the air fryer to 400° F.
- Cook the sandwiches for 8 minutes, until the cheese is bubbly and the bread is golden brown.
- Preheat the oven to 400° F.
- Place the sandwiches on a baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes, until the cheese is bubbly and the bread is golden brown.
The dijon is perfect in this sandwich - thank you for the super tasty lunch idea!
Journa Liz Ramirez
This recipe is a perfect picnic sandwich. The kids loved it!
I would never think about pairing apples and Brie and I’m so glad I gave it a go. It was soo good! Thank you for the yummy lunch