While the boys were in the pool today, I decided to throw together a quinoa salad. It is hot here today, (103 on its way to 110…yikes…It may be a dry heat but it is still hotter than h*ll) and the idea of something cool sounded good. I usually don’t hesitate to jump in the car and go to the store, but the heat is really bugging me today, so I decided to use ingredients I had on hand.
The results were surprisingly good. I think this is going to go in my regular rotation of summer recipes. Even my husband (who hates it when I make dishes that are vegetarian) liked it. I actually used balsamic vinegar because that is what I had on hand, but I think that red wine vinegar probably would have allowed the flavors to come out a little more.
Southwestern Quinoa Salad
- 3 cups of water
- Vegetable Bullion Cube
- 1 ½ cups of quinoa rinsed
- ½ tsp sea salt
- Juice from 3 Limes
- 2 tsp cumin
- ½ tsp chili powder
- 1/8 tsp ground chipotle chili powder or cayenne
- 2 T red wine vinegar
- 2 T olive oil
- 4 cloves of minced garlic
- 1 can black beans drained
- ½ cup fresh or frozen corn
- ½ red onion diced
- ½ cup roasted red pepper diced
- 1 T minced jalapenos
- ¼ cup cilantro
- ½ cup queso fresco optional
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large pot combine water and chicken bouillon and bring to a boil. Add quinoa and salt and boil for 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and rinse quinoa and place in a fine metal sieve or fine colander. Bring a fresh pot of water to boil. Place quinoa in the sieve over it. Cover with a kitchen towel and lid. Steam for 10 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- Meanwhile make the dressing by combining lime juice, cumin, chili powder, chipolte chili powder, vinegar, olive oil and garlic. (You can do this in a small bowl or in a blender)
- In a separate bowl, combine black beans, corn, onion, red pepper, jalapenos and cilantro.
- After quinoa cools, combine with black bean mixture. Stir in cheese if, desired.
- Toss with dressing and serve at room temperature or chilled.
Recipe NotesServings 6, Calories 305, Fat 9.2g, Carbohydrates 41.1g, Protein 14.3g, Cholesterol 7mg, Sodium 463mg, Fiber 8g, Sugars 2.8g, WW Pts 8