This Southwestern Quinoa Salad Recipe is a vegan quinoa salad that even omnivores will love! It is colorful, packed with nutrition and so good.
It is kind of crazy to me that something like weather can rock your world so much.
I mean, I would get how I've been feeling this week if we had been directly hit by Irma.
I know so many dealing with no power or water, missing roofs, and floods. I also know people who have not yet been able to get back to their homes.
And of course, you can't turn the TV on without seeing people who lost everything.
Living directly on the coast, we were so fortunate.
Other than the pre-landfall "where is it going to hit" stress, we weren't all that impacted. We briefly lost the internet and had to deal with bare grocery store shelves for a few days, but for a storm of this magnitude, we have so much to be grateful for!
Despite this, I've been feeling really off this week.
Today I decided it was time to take charge. It is so easy for me to let a few days of feeling "off" slip into something more. Like bad eating habits, skipping work outs, and even a touch of depression.
I got up this morning, had one cup of coffee and then worked out before I had the chance to talk myself out of it. I then headed to the kitchen, where I prepped healthy meals for the day like this Southwestern Quinoa Salad.
Although it can be hard to coax yourself into it, there is nothing like a good workout and healthy meal to fuel your soul. Although I'm still troubled by all that friends are dealing with, I'm already in a more positive mind-set than I was yesterday.
Tools for Making this Southwestern Quinoa Salad Recipe
Southwestern Quinoa Salad
Southwestern Quinoa Salad
- ¼ cup lime juice
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- ⅓ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- ⅛ teaspoon ground chipotle chili powder (or
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 4 ½ cups cooked quinoa
- 1 ½ cups cooked black beans drained (1 can)
- ½ cup fresh or frozen corn (steam the
- corn if using fresh)
- ½ red onion diced
- ½ cup roasted red pepper diced
- 1 tablespoon minced jalapeños
- ¼ cup cilantro
Make the Dressing:
- Combine lime juice, red wine vinegar, olive oil, garlic, cumin, chili powder, chipotle chili powder, salt and pepper in a blender. Process until smooth.
Make the Salad:
- In a large bowl toss together quinoa, black beans, corn, red onion, red pepper, jalapeno, and cilantro. Toss with the desired amount of dressing and serve at room temperature or chilled.