This Quinoa Corn Salad is like summer in a bowl! Quinoa, corn, grape tomatoes, red pepper, and arugula are toasted in a zesty dressing and topped with fresh basil, goat cheese, and almonds for a salad where mouthfuls delight. Serve this as a vegetarian main course or filling side.
Today I am adding this Corn and Quinoa Salad to the mix. It is light but filling, and so full of flavor—basically, my idea of summer perfection.
Give it a try and I think you will be hooked.
If you are going to keep this salad for more than a day, I would recommend either waiting to toss it until just before serving or leaving the arugula off until you are serving.
I do not recommend freezing this quinoa salad.
Tips for Making This Quinoa Corn Salad
- I recommend cooking your quinoa in broth and seasoning it well for the best flavor. You can cook quinoa on the stovetop, Instant Pot, or in a rice cooker.
- When you are cooking you quinoa, don't forget to rinse it. Quinoa is covered in a bitter substance called saponin. Unrinsed quinoa is bitter and can also cause digestive distress.
- You can cook the corn any way you like! To keep things simple, I usually boil it for 10 minutes. Let it cool and then cut it off the cob.
- Want more quinoa and less green? Use 4 cups of cooked quinoa and omit the arugula.
- If you don’t have white balsamic vinegar, regular balsamic or rice wine vinegar work well.
- Add 1/2 cup finely diced red onion or chopped scallions.
- For a kick of heat, add 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper to the dressing.
- Any cheese can be used in place of the goat cheese.
- For additional protein, add chopped cooked chicken or tempeh.
Scaling the Recipe
You can easily make more or less of this dish - just click on the number servings in the recipe card and adjust to meet your needs.
Corn & Quinoa Salad
- 3 shallots finely diced
- 3 tablespoon white balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cups cooked quinoa
- 3 cups cooked corn
- 2 cups grape tomatoes halved
- 1 red pepper seeded and chopped
- 6 cups arugula or baby spinach
- 1/3 cup fresh basil sliced
- 3 oz goat cheese crumbled
- 1/4 cup chopped almonds
- Make the dressing by combining shallots, vinegar, and mustard in blender. With the motor running, add the olive oil. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Combine quinoa, corn, tomatoes, pepper, and arugula in a medium bowl.
- Toss with the desired amount of dressing.
- Top with basil, goat cheese, and almonds.