This Sweet & Spicy Slaw is a great easy to make side dish that is packed with flavor. If you like sweet heat, you are going to love this slaw recipe.
I like most vegetables, but if I had to pick a favorite cabbage would be right near the top. I love the texture it lends to salads and wraps. My favorite way to enjoy tacos is with a Mexican Slaw that is out of this world. (I really need to make that to share.)
Although sometimes I make homemade Mayo for a traditional creamy slaw, and sometimes I use a Mayo/Yogurt mixture, I also love slaws with a less traditional dressing, like in this Sweet Heat Slaw. It is kind of like a party in your mouth - you've got the tang of the lime juice, balanced with the sweetness of the syrup and cranberries and the heat from the chipotle chili powder.
This is one you will want to taste and make hotter or sweeter according to your preferences. I'd recommend starting with just ¼ teaspoon of the chipotle chili powder. It's easy to add more but always upsetting when you make something too hot.
If you are grilling out for Labor Day this and last weeks potato salad would be great additions.
Sweet Heat Cabbage & Carrot Slaw
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ - ½ teaspoon chipotle chili powder
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 7 cups thinly sliced cabbage
- 2 carrots peeled and grated
- ½ cup dried cranberries rehydrated
- ¼ cup pumpkin seeds pepitas
- In a small bowl combine lime juice, maple syrup, cumin, chipotle chili powder and sea salt. Add olive oil in a steady stream and whisk to combine.
- In a large bowl combine cabbage, carrots and cranberries. Toss with dressing. Refrigerate for one hour. Top with pumpkin seeds.
Love those pumpkin seeds!
I know...I can't get enough.