Want to level up your Taco Tuesday? This Mexican Slaw is the perfect way to do it. With crispy cabbage, a sweet, tangy dressing, and just the right kiss of heat, it is the perfect way to spice things up. This is an easy coleslaw you will turn to again and again.
If I had to pick a favorite side dish, slaw would be near the top of my list.
From weekend grill outs to potlucks, and picnics with family and friends, coleslaw is always a welcome addition to my dinner table.
This Mexican Slaw for tacos is a particular favorite of mine.
What really sets this recipe apart is the combination of orange and lime juice in the dressing. They add a bright and zesty flavor that perfectly complements the spicy kick from the jalapeno in this Mexican coleslaw recipe.
Whether you're serving it alongside some deliciously seasoned carne asada or piling it high on top of some crispy fish tacos, this slaw is a must-try.
This easy Mexican coleslaw recipe can be adapted to your personal liking.
Adjust the heat level by adding more or less jalapeno, or mix things up by adding some extra veggies like green and red bell peppers or carrots. The possibilities are endless!
- Oil: I like to use a good quality extra-virgin olive oil in this recipe.
- Citrus Juice: A blend of lime juice and orange just provides the perfect flavor.
- Sugar: Brown sugar adds a hint of sweetness to balance out the flavors in this dish. You can use white sugar if you prefer. A sugar alternative such as monk fruit will also work well in this recipe.
- Cumin: Use ground cumin to add a smoky, warm flavor. For a fun twist, try substituting taco seasoning for the cumin.
- Salt: Just a touch of sea salt helps bring out the flavors of this slaw.
- Coleslaw Mix: This is the base for our Mexican Slaw and can be found in most grocery stores pre-packed, or you can shred your own if you prefer.
- Red Onion: I like to use red onion here for a bit of crunch and sweetness.
- Jalapeño: This adds a touch of spice. To keep this Mexican cabbage slaw fairly mild, make sure you seed your Jalapeno before dicing, and remove the white parts. They contain a surprising amount of heat.
- Cilantro: A touch of fresh cilantro brings brightness to the dish. If you don't care for cilantro, you can omit it or substitute parsley.
Step by Step Instructions
For the full recipe with measurements, see the recipe card at the end of the post.
Tips & Tricks
- Make sure to taste your coleslaw dressing before mixing with the vegetables. Adjust the flavors as needed by adding more salt, sugar, or lime juice.
- For an extra boost of heat, add an additional jalapeno to the slaw, and a tablespoon or two of hot sauce to the coleslaw dressing.
- Feel free to add additional vegetables to your coleslaw. Shredded carrots, red bell pepper, and sliced green onions are great options.
What is Mexican coleslaw made of?
Mexican slaw is a twist on traditional coleslaw, with the addition of citrus juices and spices. It contains cabbage, onion, jalapeno, cilantro, olive oil, lime juice, orange juice and spices.
How do I make my own coleslaw mix?
Absolutely! Coleslaw mix is simply shredded cabbage mixed with carrot. If you want to make your own coleslaw mix, simply combine shredded red and green cabbage with grated carrot.
Can I make Mexican slaw with mayonnaise?
Yes, simply substitute ¼ cup of your favorite brand of mayonnaise for the olive oil. You could also use a blend of sour cream and mayonnaise.
As an amazon associate, I earn from qualifying sales.
- Blender, Immersion Blender, or Jar with a Lid
- Mixing Bowl
More Slaw Recipes to Try
- Broccoli slaw is a fun twist on classic coleslaw that is a great side dish throughout the year.
- With a punchy mayo-based dressing, this Jalapeno coleslaw tips its hat to traditional coleslaw while taking the flavors in a whole new direction.
- Blue cheese coleslaw is the perfect side for your summer grill out. Truth be told, it is so delicious I've made a meal of it.
- Cilantro Lime Slaw is spicy, sweet, and full of flavor.
15-Minute Mexican Slaw for Tacos
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 3 tablespoons fresh orange juice
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 14-ounce package coleslaw mix
- ½ red onion sliced thin
- 1 jalapeno seeded and diced
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- In a bowl, jar, or blender, combine the oil, lime juice, orange juice, brown sugar, cumin and salt. Whisk, shake, or process until smooth.
- Place the coleslaw mix in a large bowl and combine with the onion and jalapeno.
- Add the dressing and stir well to combine Refrigerate for about an hour to allow the flavors to combine.
- Toss with the cilantro just before serving.