From the bottom of my heart I want to thank you for all the birthday wishes on the website, Facebook, Twitter and via email!
I was planning on laying low for the day, since turning 42 isn't all that exciting, but hubby had other plans. I'm glad he did because I got a little teary eyed going through all of the comments and emails. You guys ROCK, and I love you tons.
Now that my birthday has past, it is time to focus on the holidays. In less than a week, I'll be releasing an updated version of The Holiday Quinoa Cookbook, which I am really excited about. It is almost doubling in size with tons of great new recipes.
In the meantime, enjoy these yummy Chickpea Cakes that are a great kid-friendly and make ahead meal.
- ¾ cup quinoa flakes
- 3 cups chickpeas, drained and rinsed (about 2 cans)
- 2 cups cooked quinoa
- ½ cup chickpea flour
- 2 eggs OR flax eggs (2 tablespoons flax seeds 6 tablespoons warm water)
- 2 tablespoons tahini
- ¼ cup cilantro, chopped
- 3 scallions, sliced thin
- ¼ cup chopped red pepper
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil (more as needed)
- 1 cucumber, peeled, seeded and shredded
- 1 cup non dairy Sour cream or Greek Yogurt
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 scallions, sliced thin
- Salt and pepper
- Make flax eggs by combining flax seeds with warm water and setting aside.
- Place quinoa flakes in a food processor and process until smooth. Add in chickpeas, quinoa and chickpea flour and process until mostly pureed but some large chunks remain.
- In a medium bowl combine flax eggs, tahini, cilantro, scallions, red pepper, chili powder, cayenne pepper, salt and pepper. Stir in processed quinoa mixture and form into 8 equal patties, about ½ cup each.
- Heat oil over medium heat. Add patties and cook until brown, about 6 minutes per side. Patties are ready to be flipped when the edges start to brown.
- Serve with cucumber sauce.
- Make the Sauce
- Make the cucumber sauce by placing shredded cucumber in a colander over a bowl. Sprinkle with salt and allow to sit for 20 minutes. Combine cucumber, sour cream, lime juice, cilantro, garlic and scallions in a medium bowl. Salt and pepper to taste. Refrigerate until ready to use.