I don’t make soup often, but when I do I am always caught off guard by how much I love it.
This Broccoli Spinach Quinoa Soup is still one of my favorites. (And you guys liked it too! It’s been Pinned over 13,000 times.)
I suppose living in warm environment is partly to blame for my infrequent soup making, but that certainly wasn’t a problem this week. Even here it was time to put my flip flops up and break out something warmer. (What I would give for just one more warm sunny day!)
It wasn’t all bad though. I took advantage of the cold and made this amazing Quinoa Apple Cheddar Soup. It was so rich and creamy and packed with flavor. Perfect comfort food for the dreary weather.
I got the idea for this from Rachel Ray, though my recipe looks quite a bit different from hers. I love the apple cheddar combo, but I wasn’t sure if the sweetness was going to throw me off. I am happy to say that it didn’t.
Do make sure that you use unsweetened apple juice though, because I am pretty sure that had I used sweetened apple juice it would have been too much. (Bonus points if you juice your own apples.)
- 1 onion, chopped fine
- 1 large apple, peeled and chopped
- 1 1/2 cups cooked quinoa
- 3 1/2 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 cup unsweetened apple juice
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 8 ounces cheddar or Daiya cheese
- 3 slices gluten free bread
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- Chopped Chives
- Spray a large pot with olive oil and add onion and apple. Cook until the apple is soft, about 8 to 10 minutes. Add quinoa, broth, apple juice, thyme, crushed red pepper, salt and pepper and bring to a simmer. Cover and cook for 10 minutes. Add all but 1/4 cup of the cheese and cook over low until melted. Allow to cool slightly then working in batches, puree in a blender.
- Meanwhile, preheat the broiler. Spread mustard on bread and top with remaining cheese. Cook until cheese is melted and then cut into 1” squares.
- Ladle soup into bowls and then top with croutons and chives.