If you've been looking for a simple Gluten-Free Cream of Mushroom Soup, you're going to love this recipe! The flavor of the shallots, garlic, and thyme combined with the rich, earthy mushrooms make this dish an irresistible bowl of comfort. It's a hearty and satisfying meal that isn't too heavy but will definitely make you feel warm and cozy. Once you see how easy it is to make delicious Cream of Mushroom Soup, this will be your go-to recipe all winter long!
Table of contents
Soup is pure cold-weather comfort food. When I need something to warm me up, I always go for recipes that are easy to throw together and clean up for delicious, stress-free enjoyment.
That's why I love this Simple Gluten Free Cream of Mushroom Soup! It's ready in about an hour, but the hands-on prep time is only a few minutes. Plus, all you need is a saucepan and a blender.
I'm always amazed by the depth of flavor this soup gets in such a short time! The bold combination of garlic, shallots, and thyme with rich, earthy mushrooms makes it impossible to put your spoon down.
It's a creamy, satisfying meal that will warm you up while still feeling light. Gluten Free Cream of Mushroom Soup Recipe is so simple yet so delicious, I just know you're going to love it.
Ingredients for Making This Gluten-Free Cream of Mushroom Soup Recipe
- Mushrooms - I prefer to buy loose mushrooms, but you can buy pre-sliced mushrooms to save time if you like. You can use your favorite type of mushroom - button mushrooms, baby bellas, and shitakes are all good options.
- Shallots and Garlic - These vegetables add bold flavor to the soup. Chopped onions or onion powder may be used in place of the shallots if you prefer. One teaspoon of garlic powder could be substituted for the fresh minced garlic.
- Broth - You can use vegetable broth, chicken, or beef broth.
- Butter - Feel free to substitute your oil of choice for a dairy free version.
- Seasonings - Thyme, salt, and pepper help this soup really pop.
- Xanthan Gum - This thickening agent means we can use less heavy cream and still get a rich, creamy soup. If you don't have xanthan gum, you could make a gluten-free flour or cornstarch slurry and use that to thicken the soup.
- Heavy Cream - For dairy-free or vegan, you can use coconut cream instead. If you would like to lower the fat content, try using whole dairy milk.
Tips & Tricks
- When buying mushrooms, look for ones that are a little damp without being slimy. They should be springy and have a sweet, earthy smell.
- If you wash your mushrooms, give them time to dry or use a salad spinner to avoid adding moisture to the soup.
- To make Gluten Free Condensed Cream of Mushroom Soup, reduce the broth to ¾ of a cup and the heavy cream to ½ a cup. This would make it suitable for use in casseroles, like green bean casserole.
- When you're in the mood for something crispy, you'll love serving Air Fryer Chicken Cutlets alongside your soup.
- If you're looking for even more texture, this Crunchy Quinoa Salad is nutty, seedy goodness that everyone will love.
- For a low-carb twist on hash browns, try these kid-approved Quinoa Patties.
Frequently Asked Questions
That all depends on the recipe and the ingredients used. If you make this version, then yes, it is completely gluten free!
Many versions of this soup will have all purpose flour used as the thickening agent. This makes them not gluten free.
Absolutely! The only dairy in this recipe comes from the butter and the heavy cream. You can replace the butter with oil and the heavy cream with cream of coconut or coconut milk for a dairy free version. Unsweetened almond milk is also an option, but the soup will not be as thick.
To make vegan cream of mushroom soup, substitute out the dairy and use vegetable broth.
If you make the soup with heavy cream and butter, it will have dairy in it. You can always substitute those two ingredients with dairy-free alternatives if you prefer.
Unfortunately, many brands of canned cream of mushroom soup contain gluten. If you've been looking for a gluten free substitute for Cream of Mushroom soup, this homemade version is a great option!
I usually use baby Bellas or white button mushrooms, which both turn out very well. You could also use cremini, button, or shiitake mushrooms.
Yes! Once the soup is finished, allow it to cool to room temperature, then store in an airtight container in the refrigerator until you're ready to eat.
Absolutely! It will keep in the freezer for about two months.
Tools Needed to Make Gluten Free Condensed Cream of Mushroom Soup
- Large saucepan
- Wooden spoon
- High-speed blender or immersion blender
How Do You Store Gluten Free Cream of Mushroom Soup?
In an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to five days.
Can I Freeze Gluten Free Cream of Mushroom Soup?
Absolutely! It is very freezer friendly and can be stored for up to two months. Use a freezer safe container or freezer bag.
To Use Frozen Gluten Free Cream of Mushroom Soup
For best results, transfer the frozen soup to the refrigerator the night before so it has time to thaw.
How to Make Cream of Mushroom Soup Gluten Free
Add the butter to a large saucepan over medium-high heat.
Once the butter is melted, add the shallots and mushrooms. Cook for 8 minutes, until the mushrooms are tender.
Add the garlic, thyme, salt, and pepper, then cook for 30 seconds more.
Add the broth to the mixture and bring to a simmer. Whisk in the xanthan gum.
Reduce to medium-low heat and cook for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly, then process in batches in a blender. (Alternatively, you can use an immersion blender.)
Return the soup to the pot and stir in the heavy cream. Cook for another 5 minutes until heated through.
You May Also Like These Gluten Free Soup Recipes
- For a great weeknight dinner, this creamy Roasted Red Pepper and Tomato Soup always hits the spot.
- Skip the carbs and dairy in potato soup and try this creamy Cauliflower Potato Soup instead!
- When it comes to healthy comfort food, Vegan Black Bean Soup will keep your taste buds singing.
- By using quinoa and broth to thicken instead of cream, this Healthy Butternut Squash Soup is rich, creamy, and great for any diet!
Gluten Free Cream of Mushroom Soup
- ¼ cup unsalted butter
- ⅓ cup finely chopped shallots
- 2 cups mushrooms chopped
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- ¾ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 ½ teaspoons xanthan gum
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan to medium-high heat.
- Add the shallots and mushrooms and cook for 8 minutes.
- Add the garlic, thyme, salt, and pepper. Cook for 30 seconds more.
- Add the broth and bring to a simmer. Whisk in the xanthan gum.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low and cook for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Allow to cool slightly and process in batches in a blender. (Alternatively, you can use an immersion blender.)
- Return to the pot and stir in the heavy cream. Cook for another 5 minutes until heated through.