For a hearty dish that's bursting with flavor, Crockpot Taco Soup is sure to make your taste buds sing! It only takes a few minutes to brown the ground beef with the onion and pepper, then just let the slow cooker take care of the rest. And, of course, you get to add all your favorite taco toppings before you dig in! (Cheese, sour cream, and jalapeño slices, anyone?)
If you turn to hearty soups when the temperatures drop outside, you'll love warming up with this super simple Crockpot Taco Soup!
It is so easy to throw together for a delicious weeknight dinner with minimal prep time.
Browning the ground beef with the onion and bell pepper only takes a few minutes on the stove but adds a fantastic depth of flavor to the taco soup. Then, toss everything in the slow cooker and let the appliance work its magic.
But let's not forget about the best part. Before you dive in, you get to add all your favorite taco toppings!
I love throwing some shredded cheese, a few jalapeño slices, and a dollop of sour cream on top. Maybe even a few tortilla chips for crunch.
This Taco Soup Crockpot Recipe is always a winner when you need an easy weeknight meal to feed a typical family and still have some leftovers.
I have a feeling you'll come back to this one again and again!
Ingredients for Making Slow Cooker Taco Soup
- Ground beef — I recommend using 85% lean. You could use ground turkey if you prefer.
- Red onion and bell pepper — These will deepen the flavor and add texture to your Beef Taco Soup.
- Black beans — You'll need 1 can, rinsed and drained. Alternatively, you can make your own with this Slow Cooker Black Beans recipe. Pinto beans or kidney beans will also work.
- Frozen corn — Make sure to drain and rinse the corn, but you don't need to wait for it to thaw.
- Diced tomatoes — Use 1 can, or about 28 ounces. Tomato sauce can be substituted for half of the canned diced tomatoes.
- Broth — Store-bought beef broth works great here. If you can make your own, even better!
- Green chiles — I typically use mild, but you could use hot green chilis if you prefer some heat.
- Taco seasoning mix — Use 3 tablespoons of your favorite brand. I like to use my homemade Keto Taco Seasoning to ensure there aren't any added fillers or preservatives. Depending on the taco seasoning you use, you may want to add some additional salt and pepper. If you don't have taco seasoning you could use a blend of chili powder, cumin, paprika, onion powder, garlic powder, salt and pepper.
Tips & Tricks
- To make this Crockpot Beef Taco Soup lower in carbohydrates, omit the black beans and frozen corn.
- Look for taco seasoning without added sugar or fillers to add the best flavor to the soup. When in doubt, you can always make your own.
- Use 85% - 90% lean ground beef and drain the excess fat if necessary after browning to prevent the soup from getting too oily.
Toppings for Taco Soup
- Shredded cheddar cheese or Mexican cheese
- Sour cream
- Lime juice
- Sliced jalapeños
- Fresh Cilantro
- Tortilla chips or tortilla strips
- Green Onions
What Do You Serve With Crockpot Taco Soup with Ground Beef?
- For an easy and low-carb side to go with this Taco Soup Crockpot recipe, Spanish Cauliflower Rice is a simple dish that everyone goes crazy for!
- These Mexican Smashed Potatoes are a deliciously fun twist on a family favorite.
- Cilantro Lime Slaw with Avocado is the perfect way to add some healthy crunch and flair to your meal!
Frequently Asked Questions
If you want to thicken this easy Taco Soup in the crockpot, try using between ¼ teaspoon and ½ teaspoon of xanthan gum.
You can also use a tablespoon of cornstarch in a little water.
You bet! This soup can be as mild or as hot as you want. Try using hot green chilies and add ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper to dial up the heat.
Absolutely! Just add 8 ounces of cream cheese to the crock pot before cooking. You may want to stir it a few times throughout the cooking process to ensure a smooth texture.
Tools Needed to Make This Taco Soup Crockpot Recipe
As an Amazon Associate, I Earn From Qualifying Sales.
- Large dutch oven
- Slow cooker or the Instant Pot Dutch Oven (It is a Dutch Oven and Slow Cooker all in One!)
- Measuring cups and spoons
Slow cooker taco soup can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to four days.
For longer storage, you can also keep it in the freezer for about three months.
How to Make Crockpot Taco Soup
Brown the ground beef in a large dutch oven over medium-high heat.
Add the diced onions and red bell pepper, then cook for another 5 minutes.
If necessary, drain any excess fat, then transfer everything to a slow cooker.
Add the black beans, corn, tomatoes, beef broth, mild green chilies, and taco seasoning to the slow cooker. Stir to combine.
Cook over low heat for 6 to 8 hours.
More Crockpot Recipes to Try
- Slow-Cooker Collard Greens are made with classic southern flavors and the perfect amount of heat.
- With a tangy sauce and deliciously crunchy slaw, this shredded BBQ Chicken Sandwich recipe is one the whole family will love!
- Slow Cooker Chicken Fajitas are packed with flavor, topped with onion and peppers, and finished off with salsa for an irresistible weeknight meal.
- For an easy vegetarian recipe you'll turn to again and again, Mushroom Bolognese combines earthy mushrooms, sweet tomato, punchy garlic, and robust wine.
- Cheesy, delicious, and with a fraction of the effort of the traditional version, Slow Cooker Eggplant Parmesan is perfect for easy entertaining.
Crockpot Taco Soup
- 1 ½ pounds ground beef
- 1 red onion diced
- 1 red pepper diced
- 1 ½ cups black beans drained and rinsed (1 can)
- 1 cup frozen corn drained and rinsed
- 28 ounces diced tomatoes
- 1 ½ cups beef broth
- 4 ounces mild green chilies
- 3 tablespoons taco seasoning
- For topping: sour cream, tortilla chips shredded cheese, jalapeños, lime juice, cilantro
- Brown the ground beef in a large dutch oven over medium-high heat.
- Add the onions and red bell pepper and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Drain excess fat if necessary and transfer to a slow cooker.
- Add the black beans, corn, tomatoes, beef broth, mild green chilies and taco seasoning.
- Stir to combine.
- Cook over low heat for 6 to 8 hours.