Prepare for love at first sip with this Apple Shrub Recipe! You are going to love the sweet and tangy flavor. It is refreshing, and so satisfying.
Have you ever heard of a shrub?
Until a few years ago, I thought a shrub sounds like something you would plant in your yard.
It turns out, it is also a fun drink to make with fresh fruit.
It is a fun elixir that is the perfect way to liven up your sparkling water and give an extra punch of flavor to sparkling wine if alcoholic drinks are more your thing.
The idea of drinking vinegar might seem odd, but if you like kombucha, this is something you are going to go wild for. The combination of fruit sugar and vinegar is magical.
With fall just around the corner, this Apple Shrub is the perfect way to mix up your drink game and enjoy the best flavors of the season.
Ingredients for Making This Apple Shrub Recipe
- Apples: You can use any apple you like. Using two different types is also an option.
- Ginger: I recommend using fresh ginger. You can store leftover ginger in the freezer.
- Apple Cider Vinegar: I typically use Bragg’s. If you would like to play with the vinegar, red wine vinegar or white vinegar can be used.
- Lemon Juice: Fresh squeezed lemon juice will yield the best taste.
- Sweetener: I have been staying away from sugar lately, so I used Swerve. Whatever sweetener you want to use works. Brown sugar or white sugar are options.
- Sparkling Water or Prosecco: Combine it with sparkling water or prosecco for an adult beverage just before you are ready to serve.
Tips & Tricks
- Feel free to play with this apple cider vinegar shrub recipe and make it your own. If you want more vinegar, go for it. Likewise, if you prefer a fruiter drink, you can do that too.
- Fresh herbs, like mint, can add a more complex flavor. Herbs and spices are a fun way to mix up the flavors.
Frequently Asked Questions
A shrub is a vinegar-based syrup that can be added to alcoholic or non-alcoholic beverages.
They are a fun way to get creative because the flavor pairings are near-endless.
Done well, a shrub is balanced and refreshing. Vinegar is surprisingly good at quenching your thirst because it stimulates salivation.
They are a blend of sweetness and tartness that is especially appealing to adults.
Tools Needed to Make Apple Cider Vinegar Shrub
- Glass jar with a tight-fitting lid
Store this in the refrigerator for up to one week.
How to Make Apple Shrub
First, start by shredding the apples and ginger. You will want to peel the ginger, but peeling the apples is optional.
Place them in a mason jar that has a tight-fitting lit.
In a saucepan, heat the vinegar, lemon juice, water, and sweetener. Bring to a simmer and cook until the sweetener is dissolved.
Remove from the heat and allow to cool.
Pour the vinegar mixture over the apple and ginger. Refrigerate for 5 days.
Strain and store in the refrigerator for up to two weeks.
You May Also Like
- Turmeric Ginger Tea is as delicious as it is nutritious! It is a great way to support your immune system.
- This Iced Mocha Latte is one of my favorite afternoon snacks!
- Crockpot Hot Chocolate is like a hug in a mug. It is a family favorite and so easy to make.
- Add this Green Tea Lemon Drop to your next brunch menu, and your guests are sure to thank you.
- 2 apples shredded
- 2 inches fresh ginger peeled and chopped
- 1 cup raw apple cider vinegar
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- ¾ cup water
- ⅓ cup sugar of choice more or less depending on how sweet you like things - I used swerve
- For Serving: sparkling water soda water or prosecco
- Place the shredded apple and ginger in a jar with a tightly fitting lid.
- Combine the vinegar, lemon juice, water, and sweetener in a saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a simmer and cook until the sweetener dissolves.
- Remove from heat, and allow to cool to room temperature.
- Pour over the apple ginger mixture. Refrigerate for 5 days.
- Strain through a fine metal sieve and keep for up to 1 week in the refrigerator, covered.
- To serve, add 2 tablespoons of the shrub syrup to 8 ounces of sparkling water, soda water, or prosecco.